8.5.15 OSX El Capitan Zoom Lag

Hello Community,

I ran into an issue with Cubase Pro 8.5.15, OS X El Capitan and am hoping someone can help or confirm.

The issue:
When adding audio tracks to a session the zoom in and out (G and H keys) and other transport features get extremely slow and laggy. It takes over a full second to zoom one direction in or out regardless of session size.

I found that this does not happen with 8.0.35 or 8.5.0

The minute I go to 8.5.10 or 8.5.15 the issue pops up. A temporary fix for 8.5.15 is to turn off “Show Waveforms” in preferences. However that is an unacceptable solution for me.

If anyone can confirm this or offer a solution I would really appreciate the help.

My computer specs are as follows:
Cubase Pro 8.5.15
OSX 10.11.4
2x 3.06 GHZ 6-Core Intel Xeon
64GB RAM
SSD start disk
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
RME HDSPe MADI card running at 44.1Khz

I’m having the same issue (I posted it but no one seems to have the same problem) it seems it only happens when you import audio files into the project the lag starts. Try a blank session record some audio parts and than try to see if it lags. I have no lagging issues when I record the audio live without imported audio files. It’s annoying.

It’s all good here no issue. I added and imported many audio tracks. Everything works normally… Did you guys try resetting Cubase?

I tried it in safe mode didn’t make a difference.i have a project with no imported audio files and cubase is snappy. Disabling waveforms in a laggy session cures the problem

Thanks everyone for the input.

After further testing seems this may be a El Capitan 10.11.4 issue, at least for me. I tested 8.5.15 on an old boot drive running OS X 10.10.5 and everything worked fine, no lag, works perfect.

With El Capitan 10.11.4, I can successfully run 8.0.35 and 8.5.0. The problem only occurs for me when running 8.5.15 on OS X 10.11.4

I spoke with Steinberg this morning, they had no initial solution, but will continue to look into this. I will keep everyone updated if this gets resolved.

I appreciate everyone’s help as I continue to search for an answer for this.

It’s not only limited to “zooming” imo.

Graphical lag with Cubase is more and more common.

Previous Cubase versions ( 6-7 ) were way more “snappier” .

I think a complete re-write of Cubase internal code is due very soon.
You can’t keep forever old code from 10 years ago and expect it will run quickly on last available computers.

You may say I’m a dreamer…

Agreed.

Overall, things do appear to be getting worst, rather than better.

Solution can’t be never update or upgrade software/hardware?