8.5 mediabay still re-scanning my user content at startup!

From what I gather there are only very few that got that problem, and it might be impossible to fix without a clear reproducible way of triggering the rescan.
However that got me thinking, “what is different from my setup, where I don’t have the problem”
There was a post a few days ago regarding Cubase misbehaving when using ) and ( in the file name.
Is there any chance that any file that is being scanned into the media bay have such characters ?
Just a thought.

Hey Peakae, yeah I remember from sometime ago that you were one of those who apparently never had this issue which makes it even more frustrating my end. I repeat, there are no strange or un-accepted file characters in any of the preset names and as I mentioned earlier Cubase 6 will happily work normally with every single one of the same presets and does not automatically repeat scan on launch (same system, same everything!).

Why Steinberg confirmed this Issue and quoted it as fixed last year is totally beyond me.

Yeah if there is anything that is different in your system that stops this issue from manifesting itself I sure would like to know what it is, because as far as I can see there is no good reason why my setup would cause this.

All the best

What makes me wondering is that this issue appears on Windows systems and on OSX. Will check this now on another Mac with fresh installed Cubase Pro 8.5.

Update: So its the same, which leads me to the conclusion it has nothing to do with my setup a.s.o… But it looks like, same with the nasty video bug, some bugs will never be sorted out by Steinberg.

Update2: Cubase 8.0.35.565 no scanning on startup. So 8.5 introduced this annoying “feature”.

Update3: Just tried to deselect scan place in mediabay. But the set checkmark cannot be edited. Clicking on it causing nothing. Same clicking on the remove button. So there seems to be really something wrong with the new medially.

Update4: The more I am digging into it, the more it starts to f…setup me. Was meanwhile able to deselect. But after restart of Cubase, the checkmark are back again. Looks like the new mediabay is a nightmare :frowning:

Update: So its the same, which leads me to the conclusion it has nothing to do with my setup

Agreed:

right now I really don’t care anymore what anyone else says about this if they don’t have this problem, it is a bug and it needs addressing. Cubase 6 working correctly makes me 100% convinced this needs sorting and unfortunately those of us who see this issue are again in the hands of the programmers, it’s gone on long enough.

Yes the design for the way mediabay scans was changed from V6 to V7and8

For me & some other student I have, the problem beguin with Cubase 7 and still there in Cubase 8.5. fresh instal or not the problem still there.

Cubase 8.0.30 (64bit) is OK.
Cubase 8.0.35 (64bit) is not OK.
Cubase 8.5 (64bit) is not OK.

windows8.1 / RAM16GB / Core i7 4770HQ

absolutely do not think about users, easier to sell and make money for the 0.5 update, than to test before selling software

before sale must specify all software bugs that the user know what to buy. as well as a sell each time and endless requests from customers, please, please correct this and that. bothered

not in my experience, re-scan issue occurs in all versions since V6

Cubase 8.0.30 (64bit) is OK,

nope, not O.K

Problem solved for me. For Cubase 8.5 (x64) delete the two files in the folder “C: \ Users \ xxxx \ AppData \ Roaming \ Steinberg \ Cubase 8.5_64”
“Defaults.xml” & “mediabay3.db”
The next time start scan once, and now works as it should.

Nope: not a solution here,

Completely Rebuilt virgin preferences (with no auto importing from previous versions) and even with all other directories temporarily removed from C: \ Users \ xxxx \ AppData \ Roaming \ temporarily REMOVED ALL FOLDERS EXCEPT MICROSOFT.

This does not work, Cubase 8 and 8.5 still does it and with no good reason on my systems.

I have been down this road many times.

the fact that this appears to be the same problem on both PC and mac versions speaks volumes…

(im on 8.0.30 and its not doing it for me)

Still not fixed

Acknowledged issue going back to 2014.

No support requests answered anymore.

Hello,

the reported behaviour identified as BON-7138 has been closed because it is not a bug, but per Design. The implementation works as intended and it was introduced with Cubase 7.x

The Media bay should only re-scan ‘VST Sound user content’ and ‘VST3 preset folders’ Track presets each time. All other locations stay blue and will not be re-scanned.

Hi Felipe

Really? By design?

So Cubase 6 way of doing things was a bad design? (where it did not re-scan)

Cubase 8 has a splash screen that will not disappear until the scanning completes. It is all very well scanning to see if any of the user content has changed but to re-scan all those folders again and place a ‘splash screen’ over the media bay while the user waits is in my view extremely poor choice of design. Who made this decision and why?

If this is by design (which I doubt) why is not explained as such in the manual?

Also, if the issue was closed becuase the re-scanning is ‘by design’ surely if this was true the issue would have been locked with the ‘by design’ explanation given in 2014!

All sounds a bit fishy to me.

How come some other users say that this re-scan does not happen in Cubase 8? Does not make any sense.

Looking forward to your reply

Thanks

oh yes I’m having this too. It takes 5-7 minutes each launch until C8.5 stops “scanning”.

Highly highly annoying.

And it does it each and every time since upgrading to the newest c8.5 iteration.

Mac OS.

I’ve had this a week ago, I have noticed then that a complete re-scan never got completed, even after several tries (very time consuming).
After some more troubleshooting I manually click each folder which had to be indexed and now all is good, but if it keeps updating new files is the big question now.

Yes, it’s astounding the reply that was given by Felipe and what I have personally received with Email Support.

I simply don’t accept this is ‘by design’, but if Steinberg want to ‘brush it under the carpet’ with a ‘by design’ statement it’s just them that looks bad.

The implementation works as intended and it was introduced with Cubase 7.x

Pretty silly if users have tons of VST3 and track presets.

and so it continues…

+1

I don’t think the title of this topic, “media bay still re-scanning” is the problem correct? The problem is the auto re-scan checkmarks all boxes in the user content regardless of ones left unchecked.

I see this as a ‘sympton’ of the fact that Cubase re/scans (rebuilds) the user locations every time, as part of it re-scanning/re-building yes all the folders are included.

It’s very, very poor and I find the explanation given by Steinberg utterly ridiculous.