8.5 mediabay still re-scanning my user content at startup!

Per design!!! Really???

I’ve got Cubase Pro 8.0.35 and 8.5.15 side by side on the same computer. I start 8.0.35, create new empty project, create instrument track with Halionsonic SE and I’m able to load a preset immediately. But when I follow the same procedure with 8.5.15 and try to load a stock Halionsonic SE preset I see that splash screen and have to wait for the re-scan completion.

So, please Felipe, tell me where is the bug, in my 8.0.35 or in 8.5.15? Because they behave in different ways. :confused:

winter rat. exactly.

no problem earlier. all problems now 8.5.1.

Upping the number of items mediabay is allowed to rememer to 1000000 fixed it on my 8.5.15 system.

Where is that option located?

Upping the number of items mediabay is allowed to rememer to 1000000 fixed it on my 8.5.15 system.

Not for me… :cry:

No. this makes no difference to the issue that Steinberg support has already stated is ‘By Design’ that is to say ‘extremely bad design’

User Content location (track presets/VST3 presets) are still re-scanned/rebuilt at launch.

Here is a good trick that I found.
I had problems with scanning, it never ended. Even If i deleted database, it restarted scanning and then never finished. I solved it by creating Volume Database for each disk, and separate databases for some large folders. In this way mediabay makes several databases for different disks. This means that Factory Content will have its own database file. And separate samples disk will have its own database file. I also have those millions of midi files in separate database.

Because I have a lots of samples on my separate HD, I was able to improve performance by making virtual disk from folder with many samples, and then this folder has its own database. You create Volume Database by selecting root folder in mediabay, rightclick and select Creata Volume Database. This creates folder “.steinberg” in root of HD, and mediabay database for that disk is put there.

If something goes wrong, you can remove volume database, and make it again, and rescan just that part of library. Rescans take much less time, because each database is independent. Searching is faster, because databases are smaller.

Hi Sonicstate,

yes although this can be very useful unfortunately it makes no difference to the outlined issue.

Its a not a bug, its a feature. I know this is old, but fitting perfectly here. For sure a poll would show that this “design” is not working for most. Where are the user which have no problem with this “design”? Just my thoughts …unbelievable…

This is the problem. USER CONTENT. Apologies if I sound presumptuous, but I’m not sure if everyone understands this.

In USER CONTENT when you UN-CHECK a box, it will be RE-CHECKED upon Cubase re-starting. If the user unchecks a box and Cubase checks it upon opening, that is not good! As a matter of fact, that completely ruins my method of categorizing VST presets.

What did it fix?

Did you go to your user content, uncheck some boxes, then restart Cubase and those boxes remain unchecked?

Still waiting for someone to explain why this horrible behavior is “per design.”

Re-scanning of Media Bay is fine I think every time you start Cubase. But the automatic checking of boxes when the user has purposely left some boxes unchecked in the user folder is not fine!

Would anyone else please confirm this? Is there an option I need to change?

(apologies, please click on “untitled” first, then greg2 and then greg 4.)

Hi greggybud

Re-scanning of Media Bay is fine I think every time you start Cubase

Have to disagree with this, it is not fine. In my case I want to have every user preset folder enabled (ticked)so it is available for me straight away. The fact that Cubase re-checks unchecked locations is another side effect of current Mediabays appaling behaviour.

As it is, when I start cubase and go to a track preset…the dam ‘scanning’ image appears over the preset window until all the user VST3 presets and Track presets have been scanned again. Steinberg honestly wants to waste my time with me waiting for presests to appear every launch?
BY DESIGN! …ridiculous.

Of course Media bay needs to be able to ‘update’ scan to see if any locations and contents have changed but this ‘rescanning and the rechecking issue is a joke’

If I’m not misunderstanding you, then everything works as you like it? What you don’t like is the re-scan and the time it takes? The re-scan I believe simply check marks everything which is what you say you want.

In my case there are some boxes I want left unchecked, but the rescan checks them…not good.

not sure we are quite on the same page yet:-) let me try and be clearer.

If I’m not misunderstanding you, then everything works as you like it?

Absolutely not, everything does not work as I or I believe anyone else would like it. (except maybe Steinberg, which is astounding)

What you don’t like is the re-scan and the time it takes?

absolutely correct, this is completely stupid behaviour and needs changing back to how it worked in C6.

The re-scan I believe simply check marks everything which is what you say you want.

Regarding this issue and the discussed locations the-rescan that occurs in Mediabay ALSO check marks everything that was unchecked ASWELL AS making the re-scan. No I do not want this.
This again is undesirable behaviour and needs addressing by Steinberg.

In my case there are some boxes I want left unchecked, but the rescan checks them…not good.

I agree with you, the user should be able to leave boxes unchecked without them being automaticallty re-checked.

I hope we can agree there are two different issues going on stemming from the same issue. Neither of which are at all good.

This to me is another worrying indication that Steinberg cannot currently get the basic functionality of its product right!

Hope this has cleared things up.

All the best

Attached here again is the official Steinberg statement on the matter, an unbeleivable failure on their part:

Hello,

the reported behaviour identified as BON-7138 has been closed because it is not a bug, but per Design. The implementation works as intended and it was introduced with Cubase 7.x

The Media bay should only re-scan ‘VST Sound user content’ and ‘VST3 preset folders’ Track presets each time. All other locations stay blue and will not be re-scanned.

Same here. Never been addressed by Steinberg.
Reported it in the Bug section of the forum and it got bumped since it’s not a Bug according to the moderator.
Yeah okay. Not a bug then I guess. :imp:

Can someone please explain what function it does serve?

Seems its like that millisecond delay when selecting the stock EQ db slope… :wink:

Its just there to bug you… Obviously…lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I have made multiple posts at Gearslutz without any success.

My conclusion is that most users don’t care much about it. I gave a practical example of how I organize presets and how the re-scan automatically checks boxes I want deliberately left unchecked which makes preset organization worthless, or at the very best, much more difficult. But apparently, preset organization isn’t high on anyone’s priorities, or users don’t understand how they can take advantage of Media Bays preset organization for much faster workflow.

With that said, the problem I see with this topic is that people posting here are complaining about not liking the auto-scan, but so far other than my preset example, I haven’t read any practical examples of how this lousy auto-scan negatively effects other users. If anyone can give examples other than mine, bring them on! I think this is the way to get Steinberg to change their minds or at least make it an option.

ckon mentioned the amount of time the re-scan takes. For myself it doesn’t take very long. Are there any other examples users can explain as to how the auto-scan is negatively effecting them?

FWIW, one moderator here understands the issue and said it should at least be an option to turn off auto-scan and he would pass it on…whatever that means.

Yeah, that makes total sense. Why can I browse for non-VST preset files (Audio files from my drive etc) when it doesn’t work. It’s called media bay for a reason, right?
IT IS A BUG!

can anyone confirm if this bug is fixed in Cubase 9 ?