816x compatibility with other Steinberg interfaces

I have a 816 x firewire interface. I’m wondering if any of these new two channel interface like the UR22 or others made by Steinberg will work to allow me to record 10 channels at once into Cubase . I know all these new interfaces are USB but will they work or be compatible to work with FireWire 816 x. I am recording live guitar vocals bass and drums and it would be nice to have 10 channels at once .

Thanks

Cubase can only address one ASIO device at a time. The only exception is devices that can be linked together and can be seen by Cubase as one virtual device, such as multiple MR816s or UR24s. If you want to use your MR816 along with another device, it will have to be another MR816 or a device with ADAT inputs. In the latter case, you wouldn’t use your MR816 driver in Cubase, just hook up its ADAT out into the ‘new’ device and use the ‘new’ device’s ASIO driver in Cubase.

The UR22 has no ADAT in, so it wouldn’t work.

yeah I figured I wouldn’t get that lucky. It’s too bad when companies designs these things they don’t make them compatible with each other. I am pretty sure I am not the only one that could use a couple more channels. it would be nice if you could purchase these interfaces standardized throughout the line by the same company to work with cubase or other DAW without having to shell out the money to buy another 8 channel interface.

As far as I know, the UR824s cannot be linked together at all, in fact none of the USB Interfaces can be linked in any way… (Except from ADAT Connections…) :exclamation:

Hi you may (or may not) want to consider ‘aggregate audio devices’, Apple:OSX once had this in their [System Preferences]::AudioSetup [as a default], and it is still do able in the current OSX, just not as easy to find.

I believe in Windows, you would have to try something like ASIO4ALL.
The ASIO4ALL driver would end up wrapping up the multiple interfaces[drivers] and then present into the DAW.
If you Google “asio4all” you will no doubt see some examples … I have not tried this in Windows at all myself though.
Cheers,
/Stef

It might work with Asio4all, but at what latency rates ? - I think, it is not a good idea at all… :wink: