9.5.20 - 64-bit plugins? Wavelab says "yes", Cubase says "no"

I have noticed that Wavelab and Cubase do not seem to look at 64-bit processing plugins the same way… just curious why the difference?

For example, one of the free plugins I use is called GClip.

Wavelab → File → Preferences → Plugins → Show 64-bit float plugins → Gclip is listed here. In the info window within Gclip, it shows version 1.2, build 1.2.4.4, win64, 13 May 2015

Cubase → Studio → VST Plugin Manager → Show plugins that support 64-bit processing → Gclip disappears from the list in Cubase when “show plugins that support 64-bit processing” is checked. In the info window within Gclip, it shows version 1.2, build 1.2.4.4, win64, 13 May 2015

So which one is correct? Cubase? - or Wavelab?

Thanks,
Todd

AFAIK 64 bit audio output is only supported by VST3 plugins. This is a VST2 plugin, so while it may be able to process audio in 64 bit, the output would be 32 bit.

Ok thanks - just wanted to understand things… was surprised to see differences and wasn’t sure why.

WaveLab supports 64 bit processing both for VST-2 and VST-3 plugins.

So Vst2 plugins ARE able to pass 64-bit? Why does Cubase not recognize the plugin as 64-bit?

So Vst2 plugins ARE able to pass 64-bit?

Yes, some of them.

Why does Cubase not recognize the plugin as 64-bit?

I guess it was estimated that it would be sufficient to support VST-3.

The VST-2 support was easy to add for WaveLab, this is why it was added. Else, it would not have been.

The 64 bit support of WaveLab is complete: file input, file output, playback / record (if the driver support that), and VST2 / VST3 plugin processing.

Thanks so much PG! :slight_smile: