A Beginner's Guide

Dan, thank you very much for undertaking this project! With your document I feel I can now sit down with Dorico running on the computer and your PDF Beginner’s Guide on my iPad and actually make progress learning Dorico. I have dabbled with it occasionally since first purchasing it (version 1.0) but find that my Sibelius working habits are too entrenched for an easy transition to the new philosophy behind Dorico. I’ve been promising myself I will sit down and approach it as a brand new program, learning it from the ground up, but there’s just so much in the program that I’ve been stymied knowing just how best to approach learning it. Now, with you Beginner’s Guide, I should be able at last to get comfortable with Dorico.

This is a document that is long overdue and in my opinion should have been released by Steinberg when Dorico was first released. Thank you very much for making the effort based on your experience learning the program. I hope Daniel and Steinberg take note and offer you some sort of “thank you” bonus for undertaking this project!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Engrave mode is done, I think. It starts on page 41. Please let me know if you see any changes or corrections.

Dan, thank you very much for the time and thought you’ve put into this. And for making it available on request. Excellent job!

A really great work! You deserve a big Thank You for this!

It’s a pity though that only English speaking folks are served so well (by this forum and people like you).

Dear derhannes,
If you have the will (and some time) you could maybe translate this document for you fellow Doricians from your country! I have planned to translate it to french when I have some hours…

Here’s the Word doc, if it helps: Dropbox - A Beginner's Guide to Dorico.docx - Simplify your life

Hi Dan,

thanks for the document. Since this guide is so well done I’d like to do a translation in German. But I have to check, wether I have enough time to do it.

I’m glad it’s helpful and happy to hear it will be a benefit to French- and German-speaking users as well.

I’ve added a table of contents and made a few minor changes. I also included a link to John Barron’s tutorial on note input.

Here are some categories I didn’t cover:

• Custom noteheads
  • Percussion maps
  • Instrument changes
  • Play mode (I don’t spend much time here, and I don’t feel qualified to write about it)
  • Print mode (not really necessary to discuss, IMO. Also, I admit I ran out of steam.)

If anyone would like to contribute their expertise to these areas, I’d be happy to include it in the document.

I do plan to update it with any important changes that come in future versions. But other than that, I think I’m signing off.

Thanks, again, Dan! If there was a Dorico award of honour, you would deserve several!

I have two small suggestions:
-under the headings “Creating Frames” and “Music Frames” on pages 39 and 40 of your latest update, users are advised they can create frames by “double-clicking and dragging” but this should be just “clicking and dragging” (a double-click exists Engrave Mode and enters Write Mode).
-on page 45, in the last line of the section on “Frame Constraints” the word “lick” appears instead of the intended word, “lock”.
-also, the version number listed on the front page (2.1.10) has remained unchanged for the last 2 updates, maybe because the updates are mostly additions rather than changes but I bring it to your attention in case you want to change it.

I went through your new section on “Engrave Mode” earlier today and learned a great deal about how I can use its features to advantage in future projects. Your hard work and generosity in sharing the fruits of your labours are truly extraordinary and much appreciated!

Fixed, thanks Mike. I think your page numbers are off, though! If you’re viewing the PDF…

The version number (2.1.10) refers to Dorico, not the guide.

Whether double-clicking enters Write Mode is something configurable in Edit > Preferences > General > Editing

Thanks, I had changed that setting at the very beginning and forgot it was an option.

It would be a great service to Dorico users if a link to Dan’s excellent “A Beginner’s Guide to Dorico” could be included near the top of the Dorico forum in the same manner as the current entries for “Expression Maps” and “VST2 plug-ins”. The Dorico manual and the many videos on YouTube are excellent, too, but it would also be wonderful if newer users, especially, came across this well-written guide more or less as a matter of course. This would require the agreement of Dan Kreider and Steinberg but I’m guessing that hurdle could be relatively easily crossed.

Dan, I just got round to reading your excellent document and I’ll happily add my voice to the chorus of thank-yous from users of this forum! I also agree that this guide, or a development of it, should be adopted and shared more widely.

I found a tiny (possible) error: on page 34, you say “The chorus is hyphenated”. From context, I wonder if you mean “The chorus is italicised”?

Now dreaming of a Dorico wiki, which could combine your guide, the existing official documentation and the version history, and which would allow multiple users to add their own comments and tips…

You’re right, good catch. And thanks for the kind words, I honestly enjoyed doing it and learned some things myself!

Yes, I can believe it’s fun to do – which doesn’t mean it didn’t also take a lot of work for which I and others should be grateful!

Sooooooooooooo welcome.
Answered my first query. I’m running a free month’s trial version and much of the “hip” stuff is missing.
As you write - if Engraving mode is missing, you are running Elements.
SO - back to the drawing board.
Good work.

Chers amis Doriciens,

Here’s my french translation to Dan’s Guide.
Hope it helps !

Hello,
merci à Dan Kreider et Marc Larcher !

Trop bon !
Merci à tous les deux !