A BFD3 thread?

One thing to watch out for is BFD’s player settings. I still fall for that at times. You forget a groove selected, leave the player setting to Groove, and then BFD plays BOTH the track in Cubase, AND the selected groove. When you start laying grooves in BFD’s instrument track in Cubase, always remember to turn the player to OFF, so that only the MIDI part gets played.

Thanks for the advice. Groove player is off, BDF3 EFX are off, I exported the midi file. The result is very rudimentary compared to the groove in the groove player. I have to root around to try to figure out what is going on. But making progress!

Success! I am so happy. I went into Groove Preferences in BFD3 and selected Unmapped Keymap Articulations and Variable Articulations, and now the audio files match the BFD3 groove. Success! Now I have to learn about these unmapped keycap articulations…

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

The other thing I corrected was changing the Midi to BFD3 from GM. Even though that was in the “Import MIDI” in BFD3, perhaps that was an issue with the complexity differences. Anyway, it’s working now!

Import MIDI in BFD preferences is for the other way around, when you want to bring a drum groove to BFD from elsewhere, using a General MIDI map. For the outgoing case, like what you’ve been describing, just after deciding on the complete kit that will be used in BFD, you can have a look at the keymap page and verify that all hits used in grooves are actually there and are mapped correctly. (I’ve noticed that some grooves from BFD1 are still missing some hits here and there, it’s good that a message pops up on export so that we can immediately check out what’s missing)

After that, it’s just a matter of clicking “Create drum map from Instrument” and hopefully everything goes well, as you experienced yourself.

Here is another recent thread on the topic

I haven’t noticed any distortion myself. I will check next I boot up Cubase. However, I can no longer drag the midi drum track into the BFD midi track. When export it it is incomplete. This is one of the reasons I work with the Cubase drum editor.

Using cubase .40 and the not current BFD3, I was dragging grooves out of BFD to Cubase to export as Audio, with multiple outs. But with some exports, the Kick out channel produced a distorted sound. Waveform was looking good, I don’t what that was about. Happened 2 or 3 times.

This morning I updated to the new bfd version, and after dragging and dropping to Cubase, BFD remains stuck at the 100% screen, blocking the whole plugin.

So, I can’t see how you could test this, it’s taken care of itself. :sweat_smile: I’ll probably report this over at BFD.

I just had most of my drums vanish inside of BFD3. I submitted a support request with them but figure with the holidays (US) and weekend it might be awhile before they get back. So I’m hoping someone here has some ideas.

I took advantage of the current sale to buy 2 libraries - Maple Custom and Sleishman Snares. In the pic below you can see my current licenses. At the time of purchase all of the other libraries shown in the License Manager were available within BFD3 and showed up under the Library Filter.

After installing the new libraries when I launched BFD3 standalone it said it detected new content and offered to scan the data paths, which I did. After the scan several of the libraries disappeared from BFD3. The JM Essentials libraries were among the missing so I reinstalled them. Again BFD3 scanned the paths and more libraries disappeared. After a couple more ‘installations/scans’ I’m down to the 3 libraries shown in the screenshot. It seems like every time I scan more libraries disappear.

I’ve triple checked and all the scan paths are correct. If I look at the BFD3 Content Locations it shows “No content found” for the missing libraries. However the content seems to be really be there.

Im glad I trashed my BFD here after reading this

Too much head ache to bother with. Yes I know they sound good but man…

Have you tried the “Add bfd 2 paths”? Is there a chance that some presets (files) have ended up in users\documents etc?

Try looking in the Unknown folder as one of my Chocolate Audio kits ended up in there. Also have you looked in the Kit Pieces as individual snares to see if they have actually loaded? (Not as the Sleishman Snares Set). Can you replace an existing snare with a Sleishman Snare?

I don’t understand what you mean by “Unknown folder”

Last night I tried reinstalling all of the missing libraries. But none of those became available in BFD, although I didn’t loose any drums this time. This is in Standalone and the only libraries available are the 4 in the pic above. But just now I launched BFD as a VSTi and it again scanned the paths. Post scan only the 4 libraries were available. About five minutes later suddenly all the libraries were available - the only thing I was doing during that time was looking at individual drum types - for example what snares can I see.

So I closed the Project & launched BFD standalone. It didn’t ask to scan (because it had already done the scan earlier) and it only showed the 4 libraries. However several minutes later all the libraries appeared in the standalone too.

So I’m guessing reinstalling all the missing libraries reset something. Have no idea why there was a delay from launching BFD and the libraries appearing - don’t think it was scanning during the delay.

This was just what happen to me with Chocolate Audio Kit. No amount of scanning and mucking around would get it to properly register.
I really do think that the whole idea of installing and registering needs to be rethought. However, I think that this might be a real task for the new owners. and might require more work to overhaul a rather archaic system than they can realistically deal with!
Have you now got access to all your content?

Knock-on-wood, yes. But I’m not all that confident it will be there next week.

One thing I’m suspicious of, and this is more of a gut feel rather than evidence based. But I wonder if all the libraries were actually there all along but that the Filter wasn’t properly managing the new content. The only thing I did between “can’t see them” & “oh they are there now” was use the filters to see all the Snares, and then all the Kicks. When I removed the filter for the Kicks all the Libraries became visible.

I will mention it on the beta forum tomorrow.

There isn’t an ‘unknown’ folder. BFD just doesn’t recognize the kit as belonging to an Expansion set. Click on Unknown so you have all the kits in the left panel. Highlight the kit you’re interested in. Then at the very bottom left corner, click the Info icon (‘i’ in a circle)

This brings up the info panel and along the bottom and it lists the file location.

Is that what you were looking for?

Ahh, now I see what @silhouette was referring to. As far as I can recall and based on what my screenshots show, I never had any kits or drums that didn’t belong to a known library.

Some of the third party expansions, made during the BFD1 or BFD2 days, just don’t get recognized as expansions/libraries. The kits and drums are there, just some of the header info gets lost in translation.
The intrepid and tech savvy can fix this with the Metadata Editor:
Metadata Editor Github

Update: Sorry, I forgot this only works with BFD3 files. Still it can be handy for giving alias’ and other descriptors and custom naming to your BFD3 libraries.

Thanks for the useful info. Actually it doesn’t bother me as all the Chocolate Audio kits and data is accessible and very useable. They are very well recorded kits. I am surprised as all their other kits are recognised and included in the listings. Although it has to be said this was the only kit I bought direct from them.

1 Like