A Clear Explanation

Hello There … I’ve been using Cubase 6.5 for the past few months lately … it’s so SOLID !! Great workflow … I am an old Pro Tools user and yet ditched Pro Tools for Cubase … It was worth it indeed if it wasn’t for tempo detection …

I know Cubase has got hell lot of more advanced tempo related features than Pro Tools but still use Pro Tools to detect a song tempo and then import it into Cubase …

Would anyone mind giving a clear (VERY CLEAR) explanation of how to detect the tempo of any song I buy on Itunes for example …

Plus say when I want to put the first downbeat transient on the 1st beat ruler … i used to do that easily using tab to transient feature … on Cubase it has to be done by turning off the snap to grid and doing approximate ways to do so …

I think a better post title would elicit more responses…

Your best bet in Cubase is the "Merge tempo from tapping’ function. (pg. 469 in the manual)

Basically you create a Tempo track and a MIDI track in the project you have your MP3 in, run the song from start to finish and record a MIDI note on the 1st beat of each bar. Select the MIDI event and right click to Advanced (or Function, I can’t remember off hand) and then Merge Tempo From Tapping". Select “1 bar” and check the bar 1 box. Make sure you’ve recorded a beat on bar 1 of the song.

It will make a tempo map of your song on the tempo track and then you can use the warp feature to fine tune it.

It’s a few more minutes of work but it will come out perfect every time.

Are there anything close to “identify beat” function in pro tools ??

Highlight the file after it is snapped to zero (start of song), then select Tempo Detection from the Project menu.

I really wish there were something like this or a macro that I could make. I use this all the time in Pro Tools and it would come in very handy in Cubase. I would love to just park the cursor and identify the bar or tab to transient and identify beat without doing all the mumbo jumbo of snap to cursor and using the mouse to grab bars and move them over. This is very clunky much like it is in Logic.

I have material that is very difficult for “Tempo Detection” to work with. Tab to transient even when working with the lowest threshold in many cases just skips over things that Pro Tools would grab and that visually is a transient but Cubase doesn’t seem to notice.

These two things combined makes this aspect of my life much more difficult in my workflow when using Nuendo and Cubase.