A Condensing Question

How do I get the clarinets to condense here?

At first glance, it looks like it’s the difference in slurs on the grace notes that’s prompting the separate voices. If you make sure both clarinets have slurs between their grace notes and normal notes, the parts should condense into one voice more comprehensively?

And once again, the Condensing tool proves to be one of the best proof-reading tools :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t see any difference in the Gallery-view

I have seen a few condensing errors regarding slurs from Dorico before.

I think you need to upload that part of the project so we can investigate for you.

Please provide an uploadlink

I’m not sure what you mean, sorry. You can upload a project to a post here.

You’re not a Steinberg employee?

Ok, I’ll see if I can make a cutdown-project. Here:

Symphony No.1 F2b77 .dorico (1.7 MB)

Hm… I stand corrected; you really need to activate manual condensing and force both players into the same voice to get the desired result.

Ok, well there’s a solution at least. Thanks!

No, I’m not. Alas, not all Daniels were created equal.

I will still check out your project ASAP though!

@GeirSol,

It’s to do with your grace notes.

First of all, some of them are slashed grace notes, and some are not. The pattern you have for each set of two grace notes is normal/slashed, normal/slashed…etc. Check the Properties panel as you navigate through them and you will see.

But, more importantly, the instruments don’t match.

The last two grace notes of each bar are different. Clarinet 1 is normal/normal whilst Clarinet 2 is normal/slashed. (I’m assuming you just copied the bars).

If you filter all the grace notes in each instruments, open Properties, and make them all the same type, this should sort you out. (Technically, you could just make the last grace not in Cl. 1 a slashed one and it will have the same effect.)

The first note, at the marcato, will need a Condensing Change, allowing mid-phrase unisons. Reset at a later point that you desire. The Condensing change at bar 77 can be removed.

1 Like

Ah, that explains it. Thanks!

1 Like