A couple basic transposing questions

Hi guys, a couple transposing questions that may be very basic, but I just haven’t been able to figure them out.

1. I’m used to Finale’s behavior on this: when I change keys to an existing section, I have the option of transposing up, down, or keeping enharmonic equivalent. But it seems like Dorico only allows enharmonic. I then have to transpose it. Is this correct? Are two steps required? If so, what’s the rationale behind this?

2. Also in Finale, I can select the measure range the key change applies to. But when I select a section in Dorico, it seems to change all the way to the next key change, regardless of what I select. (I have the same question about meter changes)… Am I missing something?

Thanks!

PS: Daniel and team, thank you. I can’t say enough about Dorico. Truly a game changer. I’m loving it.

Dear Dan,
You can change to enharmonics without the transpose window. Select the music you want to change and press alt+[whatever key makes # or b]
Sorry if I am not more precise about the key to press, it changes with keyboard layouts according to the country, language…
There also is an option in the transpose window, with a rather strange (it has been discussed in the forum) interval, maybe diminished unison or augmented unison.
I cannot answer to your second question.

It is correct that adding a key signature does not itself perform a transposition operation. Provided there is a key signature at the start of the selection, you should still find it a one-step process: do Write > Transpose and make sure the ‘Transpose key signature’ checkbox is activated, specify the transposition interval, and it will update the key signature at the same time as the transposition.

At the moment, you do also need to create a “stopper” key signature at the end of the selection if you don’t want the change of key to persist beyond the passage you’re transposing. We may well add features to automatically restore the previous meter and key when doing these kinds of operations in future, but no such features exist in Dorico at present.

I’m really glad you’re enjoying Dorico, Dan. Long may it continue.

Got it, thanks Daniel.