a couple of WL 10 buggy (?) things

a couple of weird things have popped up in my use of WL 10 (pro) in the last couple of days:

\

• when a plug in is opened from the master section from a bypassed master section state, it’s opening up halfway off of my main monitor and onto the 2nd monitor. it doesn’t open where i last had it open.

simply opening the plug in for the first time opens in the center of your screen, but when you bypass the master section (say, after a render) and re-open the plug in window it shifts off the monitor.

• when i render a plug in to an audio file it seems to auto save the file… i don’t get the red dot on the file name tab indicating it’s been changed… it just saves it straight to disc. this must be a setting somewhere i’m missing, but i never had that behavior in 9.5.

my render setting is IN PLACE on the render page.

anyone else experiencing these things?

it doesn’t open where i last had it open.

We had this report earlier, indeed.

when i render a plug in to an audio file it seems to auto save the file… i don’t get the red dot on the file name tab indicating it’s been changed… it just saves it straight to disc. this must be a setting somewhere i’m missing, but i never had that behavior in 9.5.

I can’t reproduce. Since there are many render options, please describe more accurately this case. Thanks.

thanks, PG…

render scenario:

• open montage
  • edit song in montage, opens in own edit tab
  • put fab filter pro L2 limiter on, gain +dB
  • render button (screenshot below of render window)
  • resulting audio file does not have red dot indicating changed, and was automatically written, rendered to disc, replacing original file. closing audio file does not result in “do you want to save” option (since it automatically saved)

i think i need to go back to 9.5 til this is sorted, as i can’t have my files being automatically written as i need to double check, A/B, etc.
  • render button (screenshot below of render window)
  • resulting audio file does not have red dot indicating changed, and was automatically written, rendered to disc, replacing original file. closing audio file does not result in “do you want to save” option (since it automatically saved)

By reproducing your steps, I have found a problem. But not what you describe, and not as serious.
Let’s me explain. When I launch WaveLab and do your steps, the resulting audio file get a red indicator.
And the file is not overwritten. Everything is fine.

But a problem starts if you close this audio file (saving it or not), and then open it again. In that case, the render in place does no cause the red mark to appear, and any edit on the file can’t be undone. However, in no case, the original audio file is overwritten. Hence you can’t loose audio data.

Closing the montage and reopening it, put you in a clean situation again.

This is however not good and is a high-priority bug to fix.

i just tried it all again and did NOT run into the same problem… which is strange.

i tried opening a 9.5 montage into 10 (what i had been doing before) as opposed to using the new 10 montage… but still, red dot, no auto-save… all normal. i’m certainly going to keep trying things and report back…

it happened again this morning, doing the following:

• playing a montage
  • without stopping playback, i “E” a track in the montage for editing
  • playback continuing
  • gained up the clip +1 dB with WL’s GAIN box

seemed to autosave to disk, and as well, the montage didn’t signal that it had been altered either.

• then, stopped playback, brought up a limiter to test (FF ProL2) threw up a dB of gain, and also it autosaved, no red dot.

from this point on no matter what clip or what plug in i used it autosaved with no red dot.

not until i quit and re-loaded did it return to normal.

so i did that, and repeated the above steps… but it DID have a red dot and did NOT autosave…

so… still a mystery!

Note that when you edit an audio file opened from a montage, the montage red mark does not appear (but the audio file red mark should appear).

coming back again with another report… this is so random that i’m not sure i’m helping (so i’ll try to stop)

montage as normal… opened a clip, applied limiter, saved, no problems.

playing montage some more. opened up same clip again, applied another dB of the limiter, and then it auto-saved.

opened another clip… applied some EQ, render, no problem. no autosave. same clip, applied limiter, again, no problem.

this seems really random… but really really want it to be fixed!

I think the problem starts when you close the audio file tab. You should keep it open until you don’t it the mother montage.
For sure this will be fixed.

but the problem starts from a freshly opened montage and edited (E) clip. nothing gets closed until after the render (and subsequent auto-save glitch) happens.

i have not tried reproducing this by opening an audio file on its own without editing the clip from a montage yet.

nothing gets closed until after the render

This is what I mean. Don’t close the file after rendering. Or only when closing the montage.