a feature request: options per frame/system break

Hello,

I think it would be very convenient if each “frame/system break” complementarily provides the followings:

1. [frame break] justify distance only between systems
  2. [system break] justify distance between staves
  3. [frame/system break] justify distance between staves and systems
  4. [frame/system break] increase/decrease the distance between staves
  5. [frame/system break] fix the number of the bars per system

I am sure it will reduce some time in editing in the Engraving mode.
What do you think about it?

This is a little confusing as Dorico can already accomplish all of these things. What exactly do you mean? Are you proposing that these options would apply per-page with a toggle visible whenever you click on the corresponding marker?

I think whar prko means is that the capability to set these values on a stretch of music, like we can do with horizontal spacing, would be useful. I tend to agree. In fact, I’d say that vertical spacing is where I still fight Dorico a bit.

Indeed. I do my best to set global values, but I can’t for the life of me crack the code, most of the time, to get things the way I want them by default. Then, there are times that I want to keep justification from happening and set the parameters to 100% and then it still justifies leaving huge gaps in sparse scores. Then there’s the weird space for rehearsal marks… other things get crammed together… I just can’t figure it out. I have to make lots of manual tweaks unless it’s a straightforward piano score. I’m sure there is something that just isn’t clicking for me but I spend a lot of time in Dorico and I’ve adjusted a lot of values to experiment, all to little avail.

This is a little confusing as Dorico can already accomplish all of these things. What exactly do you mean? Are you proposing that these options would apply per-page with a toggle visible whenever you click on the corresponding marker?

Oh, sorry!
I wrote my opinion not clearly. I edited the original post a bit.

You are right. I am proposing that these options be set on the properties panel separately from the global value.

Every page has a unique situation, and we should sometimes arrange vertical spaces a bit. I think these manual adjustments of vertical gaps would be more convenient if Dorico allows us to control these values locally.

Isn’t this already possible with staff spacing adjustments in Engrave Mode?

It is possible by manual adjustments.
What I am proposing is not by manual adjustments, but by checking the options and change the values in individual Format properties.
The following five options are not in the Format properties Steinberg Forums

1. [frame break] justify distance only between systems
  2. [system break] justify distance between staves
  3. [frame/system break] justify distance between staves and systems
  4. [frame/system break] increase/decrease the distance between staves
  5. [frame/system break] fix the number of the bars per system