A Few Feature Requests

I have a few feature requests:

1. It would be great if Dorico could automatically “knock out” the barline behind dynamics and text. This is something you see very often in published scores. See my attached screenshots.
  2. It would also be fantastic if there were some way to select a bunch of measures, and have Dorico semi-automatically put little numbers above each measure, counting up, as is often done in orchestra parts for repeating figures. I’ve attached an image that shows this in a published part.
  3. It would also be great if there were a way to add dynamics to notes in the middle of a tie chain without having to remove and then replace the tie.

And one question: why does Dorico allow duplicate clefs? If a staff is already using a certain clef, I can still add that same clef in the middle of a line. This happens a lot when copying and pasting music, and I wonder if Dorico shouldn’t just automatically remove all clefs that are duplicate?
knockout 2.png

I agree with your first two requests, and I hope we’ll be able to address them in the future. For your third request, you can already do this: select the tied note, hit Return to show the caret, then move the caret to the position in the tie chain where you want to add the dynamic, and do so.

As for why Dorico doesn’t remove duplicate clefs when copying and pasting, that’s not something we’ve considered, to be honest. I’ll have to give it some thought, but my instinct is that if Dorico doesn’t copy and paste the things you tell it to, that could be both counter-intuitive and annoying in other situations.

I didn’t realize this, I was breaking the ties first. Thanks…but this process will not work with hairpins alone or dynamics grouped with hairpins (see attachment). Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

After you add the dynamic (hairpin, cresc.) in the popover and press Return, be sure to press the spacebar to specify the length of the expression.

Great! I never knew you can do that. That makes my work a lot easier. Thanks Very Much!

And to boot, if you only want to enter hairpins you don’t need to invoke the popover at all… just type < and >. When extending the hairpins duration with the spacebar you advance by the selected duration, if you advance with the right arrow you advance by the grid. (in this case the hairpin doesn’t update graphically until you type a question mark, OR invoke the popover to add a terminating dynamic marking)

Another great technique I never know. Thank very much.

Can you precise please ?
cannot make it work here (on windoze) :unamused:

I think between what fratveno and I have said, it’s about as clear as text can make it. If you need more, perhaps you can take a couple of minutes to watch How to Input Dynamics in Dorico | Write Mode in Dorico - YouTube

Derrek,
I agree that the explanation is totally clear, but the spacebar after Return doesn’t lengthen a hair-pin here, it starts playback !
and btw, in the video you you linked, the spacebar lengthen trick does not appear.
the Alt+Shift arrow works fine though.
maybe another NON-english keyboard glitch?

You have to make sure the caret is showing before you start inputting dynamics: so hit Return to show the caret, type Shift+D to show the popover, type (say) < for a crescendo hairpin, hit Return to close the popover, and hit Space to advance the hairpin. Type Shift+D to open the popover again and type ? to stop the hairpin, or enter another dynamic.

Thanks Daniel the caret was the clue

FYI… and for what it’s worth…

I noticed there is another way to show the end of a hairpin with the escape key (if there is not another dynamic to be added)

Daniel’s instruction:

hit Return to show the caret, type Shift+D to show the popover, type (say) < for a crescendo hairpin, hit Return to close the popover, and hit Space to advance the hairpin. [At this point simply type the Escape Key to end the hairpin]

I would like to see navigation with the flow icons to move about the score faster. Thus in engrave mode if you click on a particular flow the cursor and screen will move to the opening of the designated flow.

Dear Daniel, hier is an excerpt from your answer: “…select the tied note, hit Return to show the caret, then move the caret to the position in the tie chain where you want to add the dynamic, and do so…”
I was able to put fermata, dynamic (f, p, etc.) on a particular tied note using your advise, but what about crescendo, diminuendo lines? Do I have to untie notes each time to be able to put “<” or “>” on a particular tied note? By the way very common daily situation while working on orchestral scores…

Other situation: if I would like to repeat some figure which is tied on a beginning (please see an attachment), selecting particular notes and hitting R would save lots of time instead of untying or rewriting such figures manually.

Some shortcut while clicking particular note would be very helpful. Cmd+click to select a first note and Shift+click a last one? Just as example…

You certainly don’t need to untie the notes in order to create hairpins on them: hit Return to show the caret, move the caret to the point where you want the hairpin to begin, type Shift+D for the dynamics popover, then type < or > as needed, hit Return to confirm the popover, then hit Space to advance the caret, which will edit the duration of the hairpin.

Thank you very much Daniel. Very helpful information:)