A few little features I'd love to see.

Overall I enjoy Wavelab 7.

I would love to be able to disable the changing of track faders with the scroll wheel. The way I work, I’ve found myself accidentally changing the gain (presumably while trying to zoom), and sometimes it’s hard to notice before it’s too late.

I would also like to see a warning if you’re about to burn or render a montage with a different Master Section than saved with the session, or no master at all.

I wish there was a way to render files by CD track, and have Wavelab automatically add 01, 02, 03 etc in front of each file name so I don’t have to do it manually. With less and less people pressing actual CD’s, I think this would be a great feature.

I also wish the montage save as… function didn’t default to the Wavelab/audio montage folder on my system drive. I think most people use a dedicated audio hard drive and have a folder for each artist/project. I wish the save as prompt box would be able to find the folder where all or most of the source audio files are coming from and offer to save there first.

I still think the PQ report could be more efficient. I remember in Wavelab I could print a PQ list for an average CD on one sheet of paper with all the info with reasonable text size. Now I’m averaging 2 or 3 sheets per typical full-length CD.

Overall I’m a happy Wavelab 7 user, especially happy to have something decent for Mac. However, unless Wavelab can sort out these little things, I’ll probably be interested in checking out Samplitude/Sequoia when that is available for Mac. I see what people are saying when they say that WL7 for Mac looks like a bad PC program, but it doesn’t really bother me as much as the functions themselves.

Thanks PG for your excellent work and for checking this forum often.

JP

I would love to be able to disable the changing of track faders with the scroll wheel.

Agreed.

I would also like to see a warning if you’re about to burn or render a montage with a different Master Section than saved with the session, or no master at all.

Not sure about that one.

I wish there was a way to render files by CD track, and have Wavelab automatically add 01, 02, 03 etc in front of each file name so I don’t have to do it manually. With less and less people pressing actual CD’s, I think this would be a great feature.

This you can already do:
2011-10-28_16-37-58.png
For the name, name the markers beforehand. Possibly with the batch marker renaming tool.

I still think the PQ report could be more efficient

In 7.2, you’ll get the ASCII generation as in WaveLab 6, as an option.

I also wish the montage save as… function didn’t default to the Wavelab/audio montage folder on my system drive. I think most people use a dedicated audio hard drive and have a folder for each artist/project. I wish the save as prompt box would be able to find the folder where all or most of the source audio files are coming from and offer to save there first.

See Options > Folders
to customize this.

Thanks. I definitely knew that you could render files by CD track, I just meant it would be great to have it automatically put the track number before the file name/song title.

I’ll play around with the batch processor though if it might be possible in there.

Thanks.

Thanks. I definitely knew that you could render files by CD track, I just meant it would be great to have it automatically put the track number before the file name/song title.

Note that the CD Wizard 7.2 will let you add track indexes to markers (but after the track names…).

I’ll play around with the batch processor though if it might be possible in there.

Batch marker renaming, not batch processor, which is another story.

Philippe

Thanks, I’ll look into it. Having the number at the end of the name doesn’t really help much, if there is an easy way to add it to the front of the name then the songs stay in order nicely when just sending a zip file of the WAV’s for clients to approve.

Having the number at the end of the name doesn’t really help much, if there is an easy way to add it to the front of the name then the songs stay in order nicely when just sending a zip file of the WAV’s for clients to approve.

That will be possible.

Philippe

Nice :slight_smile: I would like that too!

While we’re at it, I’d love to see a feature where WL automatically adds MetaData when rendering like Artist Name/Song Name and Album Name, as well as an 01, 02, 03 etc before each file name.

This would probably save me hours per week.

like Artist Name/Song Name and Album Name

Where these come from?

as well as an 01, 02, 03 etc before each file name.

When rendering with which method?

Philippe

The MetaData could come from the CD-Text info, I always fill that in even if the project isn’t getting proper CD’s made since it’s very easy to fill it in with “edit CD-Text” option. It looks nicer on the report PDF etc.

Also, I would ideally use it when rendering WAV or mp3’s from the Audio Montage using “Regions” and “Tracks”, it would be nice if WL could add that MetaData.

I almost always render the project to WAV files using “Regions & Tracks” setting for uploading to clients. I also upload an mp3 of the entire project to make sure they are hearing the space between songs correctly. Right now, I always have to add a 01, 02, 03 to the start of each CD marker so that it becomes part of the file name. Then I have to take the numbers off before generating the CD report because people get confused and think the 01 will be part of the song name on CD text.

So, ideally, when rendering files from Audio Montage as “Tracks”, it would be great to see WL add the 01, 02, 03 for each track automatically, as well as pull the MetaData from the CD-Text info including Artist Name, Song Name, Album Name and ideally embed the track number in MetaData too so iTunes can put the files in order even if there is not 01, 02, 03 at the start of each file name.

Thanks!

Also, is there a way to make the Transport option permanently stay on “On stop, move cursor back to start”

It seems to go away on every restart of WL.

@Jperkinski

Thanks for explaining your way of working. I note.

Also, is there a way to make the Transport option permanently stay on “On stop, move cursor back to start”

In WaveLab 7.2, this will be persistent (as far as you use global transport settings).

Philippe

PG, thank you for taking the time to read this forum and take note, it means a lot.

I look forward to seeing what becomes of the next version.

Justin

Hi PG,

Will any of the features discussed in this thread be a part of 7.2?

Some, yes. Please wait for the version. I don’t want to give too much detail now.

Hi PG,

Don’t forget the videotrack back to montage!!! It makes WL to be the best audio for video tool in the market!

Hi PG,
I thank you so much for adding some of these ideas that I posted here. I sleep better at night knowing that i haven’t accidentally caused a track level to change via the mouse scroll wheel without noticing, since i also use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out quick, and when you are at the start of the montage, it could easily cause the track levels to change instead.

One thing with the custom marker renaming. When I try to choose the Number X first a + specific name, the name field is grey and I can’t enter anything in.

I also think that this feature would be better in the render dialog. I think it’s best to always name the CD markers “as clips” because for me, the clips are always the exact name of the song (or very close to exact name). Then I can generate the CD-Text info quickly form the names of these clips and regions as I do now. However, when I go to render WAV files (or mp3’s) of the entire CD from the montage, it would be great if it created the WAV file name from the region name (as it is now), BUT have the option to add the track number at the start of the rendered file name so that the songs appear in order in the folder they render to without having to manually add this number to the start of the region name, and then remove when done so it doesn’t appear on the PQ or end up in the CD-Text if you make the CD-Text after adding these numbers. The numbers are only for the sake of the render to keep songs in order of any generic folder or software.

I appreciate you offering this option, but so far it doesn’t quite help. I think it needs to be in the render dialog as this is the only time I think you would need to attach the track number to the start of the file is for rendering. When making audio CD’s or DDP’s, there is no good reason to add the track number.

Does that make sense?
I think if you can fix the white plugin bug and add this, Wavelab 7 will be the ultimate mastering software on Mac.
I tried a demo of Soundblade but I just can’t get into it.

thanks.

One thing with the custom marker renaming. When I try to choose the Number X first a + specific name, the name field is grey and I can’t enter anything in.

This is fixed in upcoming 7.2.1 hot fix.

I also think that this feature would be better in the render dialog.

I agree this would be a good option in the Render dialog, and this is noted for a future version. But this could not be included in the upcoming hot fix.
Remember that the batch renaming dialog allows you to do all sorts of things. Hence you have work around solutions.

When making audio CD’s or DDP’s, there is no good reason to add the track number.

Some users think otherwise, as it’s originally a user request.

I think if you can fix the white plugin bug (…)

Fixed in upcoming 7.2.1

Philippe

Thanks PG, your customer service and support is amazing, like no other software company I’ve come across.