A few niggling things.

I am so enjoying this software! This update has increased my output considerably. Still, there are (predictably) a few niggling things that I think I should share.

1. There are of course certain speed inducing features missing at this point, such as filters and multipaste, but I know these are in the pipeline, so I am not concerned. However, the present implementation of ties has caused many situations where there was unnecessary time wasted in write mode. The scissor tool has alleviated that somewhat, but it is still an area of frustration for me. Doing a single line score (I have to make a couple of re-edited viola parts), makes this worse as there are no other staves available to undertake certain commands (more of that below). So writing a tie that goes though a key change means that, unless I first write the key change, I have to hit enter at the start of the tie chain, move the caret and type shift-K. A minor time waste, but I found out that although I can enter dynamics using this method, I cannot enter progressive dynamics, and I therefore have to use the scissor. I can also enter the ties last. At any rate, I realise that many modified mouse clicks are already in use, but I know I speak for many that any modified mouse click (alt-ctrl-shift-click, or the like) to select a single note as part of a tie chain would be a godsend. So far, nothing has made me waste more time than ties.
  2. Another instance where a score with a single orchestra part creates an unforeseen issue is the matter of progressive tempo changes over bar rests. Dorico won’t recognize rests as music (which is logical of course), so if my viola part stops playing midway through a ritenuto, the dotted line stops with the music and will not continue over the selected rests. Not having another staff to write in, I had to fool Dorico by filling the bars, enter the progressive tempo change and deleting the dummy notes. Progressive tempo changes over bar rests also seems to screw up multirests btw. Using rit. without a line is of course the best solution for that.
  3. Entering complex dynamics – a series of both chained and individual ones – does not always line up in a way that I would consider optically pleasant. I included a pic to show what I mean. I have no problem fixing it in engrave mode, but I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.
  4. Ceasura at a bar line followed by multiple empty bars detaches the following bar from multirests, I used the breath mark instead.
  5. Four stroke tremolos on a lower ledger note seem awfully close to the note, is that normal? It’s fine in the score, but like this in the part. I also attached a picture.
    Tremolos.png
  6. Adding a flow after editing the previous flows for page turns etc … occasionally screws up that formatting.
  7. Speaking of page turns, even in Sibelius I often re-did them to suit my own personal taste in the matter, but although it’s not a priority, it would still be a good thing. Whenever I “make into a frame” (or a system), I feel I am tampering with Dorico’s beautiful default formatting!
  8. In the Christmas singalong collection that I sent earlier, the shortness of the flows meant that there were several final systems made of a single bar. This looks very odd on a page. I know how to deal with the justification, but is there a default command anywhere to avoid systems being made out of a single measure?
  9. In my latest project, courtesy accidentals seem to appear only if they are required on the following bar, but not later. Is there a choice in the matter, I couldn’t find one.
  10. Not having “divisi” and/or “div.”, “solo”, and “tutti” in techniques is most unfortunate …

That’s it for now!

Number 3 has since been answered in another thread.

About no. 10, I realise that divisi, etc … are not techniques, properly speaking. But using text, which has a larger font by default and no collision avoidance, does translate into spending time moving things around. Is there something planned down the line to address this, such as creating a new tool set, or simply blending these into techniques?

We have big plans for handling divisi/unis. etc. situations, but they are a little way off (I think we’ll be in trouble if we work on them before we add, say, chord symbols…).

By all means, chord symbols firsts. But in the meantime i’d settle for them as technique text since they are so commonly used.