A few questions/requests

1. I have not found a way to adjust the thickness of beams, either locally or globally. Is there such an option?

2. Since, to my knowledge, Dorico uses primitives to draw even single note tremolo beams, is there a way to adjust the thickness of those as well?

3. Modern practice draws single note tremolo beams at a constant upward angle, regardless of whether the notes are beamed or not. Plate engraved scores, however, tend to draw such tremolo beams on beamed notes at an angle parallel to the beam. If my understanding of how Dorico draws single note tremolos is correct, this should be a viable option to implement in Dorico.

I know this is a sought-after feature among engravers, even of modern music, that has been requested on the forum before, but I’ve yet to read any response to this from the team. Is this planned for a future release?

1. I’m not able to force accidentals to display on any note within a tie chain. This is fairly common for tied notes over a page or system break, but does also sometimes occur on tied notes over a barline when the first note of a tie chain does not have an accidental. Is this somehow possible?

2. The property for articulation placement only gives options to display an articulation on either the notehead side or the beam side. This means that you cannot select multiple notes with opposite stem directions and flip their articulations to the same side, either above or below the notes/staff. In turn, this makes obtaining homogenous articulation placement, whenever appropriate, much more laborious than it needs to be. Am I overlooking a way to do this more easily?

1. select the note in Engrave mode… it’s the first option in the properties panel…

Thanks!

1. I have not found a way to adjust the thickness of beams, either locally or globally. Is there such an option?

Not at present, though it is planned.

Since, to my knowledge, Dorico uses primitives to draw even single note tremolo beams, is there a way to adjust the thickness of those as well?

No, at present they are drawn using the same (fixed) settings as beams.

Modern practice draws single note tremolo beams at a constant upward angle, regardless of whether the notes are beamed or not. Plate engraved scores, however, tend to draw such tremolo beams on beamed notes at an angle parallel to the beam. If my understanding of how Dorico draws single note tremolos is correct, this should be a viable option to implement in Dorico.

We did discuss including this appearance when we first implemented tremolos, but decided against it for expediency’s sake. However, we have no great philosophical objection to supporting this appearance, and we may be able to add it in future.

The property for articulation placement only gives options to display an articulation on either the notehead side or the beam side. This means that you cannot select multiple notes with opposite stem directions and flip their articulations to the same side, either above or below the notes/staff. In turn, this makes obtaining homogenous articulation placement, whenever appropriate, much more laborious than it needs to be. Am I overlooking a way to do this more easily?

No, you’re not missing anything. I think it’s good that the articulation placement property is defined semantically in terms of the placement of the articulation relative to the note rather than being “above” or “below”, since this then means that the placement responds intelligently when the note’s pitch is changed, but I agree that if you really want to force all articulations to be above (or presumably much less commonly below) the staff, there’s no quick way to do this. Perhaps it would be preferable to provide engraving options for all articulations of certain types to always go above, as we have already for marcato.

Thanks, Daniel! It’s always good to have something to look forward to.

While placement according to stem/notehead side is a good default option for most articulations, this scheme isn’t always appropriate. For one thing, some articulations aren’t placed according to the stem direction at all, but rather goes above the staff regardless.

Additionally, the ability to place all consecutive articulations on the same side is important, especially when stacking several articulations and other symbols like fingerings, etc., but also for the sake of legibility and consistency in certain special cases. Even if there is no good visual or conventional reason to do so, you might want to anyway, to preserve a practice from a particular composer or edition.

I’m not sure if it is preferable or even doable to provide options to solve this problem automatically, since it’s very context-dependent, but I do think it is important to be able to specify placement for articulations independent of stem direction on a case-by-case basis.