A few thoughts on the Instrument Editor

Firstly, thank you for the fantastic 5.1 update. A lot of loose ends tied up. Dorico feels much more polished now. So, kudos to the team.

When making a variant of an Instrument, I would like to be able to set the Variant name for the original Instrument the variant was made from.

As an example: I want to make some custom Instruments for Mandola. There are two types, one tuned as a Viola hereafter called Alto. The other tuned an octave below the Mandolin hereafter called Octave.

I create the Alto from the Mandolin as a new instrument. I then create a variant from the Alto for the Octave. I set the variant name for the Octave to GDAE which gives me what I want in the Instrument Picker.

But for the Alto, in the Instrument Picker I get Fretted Instruments > Mandola > Standard tenor banjo tuning. Not very helpful or desirable.

This leads me to my other thought. Could we please have a way to name the tunings? Especially custom ones not factory defined. In the above scenario, I could at least custom define the tuning to something more useful to me.

Thank you for your consideration and Happy Holidays to all.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion about allowing the main instrument type to have a variant name. This is a reasonable request, and we’ll think about it.

Likewise, it’s also a reasonable request to be able to provide a name for fretted instrument tunings, so we’ll consider that too.

8 Likes

Thanks Daniel, much appreciated as always.

Hi Daniel, This relates to another post of mine a couple of days ago, but is there a way to delete unwanted custom fretted instrument tunings? I don’t mind going into the xml file if I know where to find the appropriate entry, if that is the only way. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

I’ve not had a chance to dig into your other thread, but I will do so. Please don’t bump that thread in another one. Thanks for your patience!