A global option not to allow dotted rest on beat

Dear users and developers,

As far as I remember, there must be a global option not to allow dotted rest. However, I cannot find it now.
Could you give a hint on how to do it?
I do not want to have dots in the following situations:

I am sorry for my bad memory, and thanks in advance!

If there is an option, it’s not global but flow dependant. In notation options >note grouping>rests. Not sure it will apply in every meter though.

Thank you.
There is no option for this.
In the following screenshot, I added some options for this as an idea:

It would be nice if these options are implemented.

Sorry, I was somewhat wrong in my post, the option would be in Notation options>Rests. There are some options, but as I told you, they do not apply to every meter.

Thank you very much, I checked the options, but it does not affect. Dorico needs to the options which I suggested in the picture in my previous post.

It’s in Notation Options / Note Grouping.

But if you set the maximum number of dots to 0, you also disallow dotted notes, unless you use force duration to create them.

Yes, I know this option.
I need it only when the rest comes before a tied note.

If you ask the wrong question, you get the wrong answer.

Sorry I wasted my time trying to be helpful.

Please forgive me for wasting your precious time. It’s my fault.
I didn’t know if the question was wrong.

I apologise to you for my stupidity.

Your question is not stupid. There is a notation option for disallowing dotted rests, but it operates on different rhythmic strata than what your examples desires. Dotted rests within the beat are usually desired, though I understand you do not desire them. The notation option in Rests you were referred to really only deals with dotted rests larger than the beat. In both of your examples, the dotted 8th rest and dotted quarter rest are smaller than the beat, and thus the dot is allowed.

Currently, there is not a Notation option for what you are looking for in simple meters. The most elegant solution would be using Force Duration when needed. You could remove all dots entirely, but this has other issues, as suggested.

Yes. It would be great if Dorico provides such options. Doing it manually is not productive…

It would be great if the developers added an option to allow/disallow dotted rests at the beginnings of simple beats. This seems like something that would be easy to add, as they already have the option for dotted rests at the ends of simple beats (Notation options>Rests>Simple time signatures).

Except, perhaps, in cut time (especially in old-style popular music), where there’s still a quarter pulse despite the meter, and a dotted quarter rest on the beat generally isn’t wanted. This is what I’m finding in some of my score restorations, and the automatic quarter rests are troublesome to expunge.

1 Like

+1 for Disallowing dotted rests on the beat; Not yet present in Dorico 5. Some of us DO WRITE JAZZ, dear Dorico people, and in Jazz, dotted quarter rests on the beat in Cut Time are definitely NOT desirable. I’ve been busy for more than an hour to copy/paste a forced duration quarter + eight rest hundreds of times all over my latest score. Please add it.

In Dorico 5 there’s an option to treat cut time the same way as 4/4, which should fix your problem.

1 Like

There need to be many more Notation Options for Dorico’s method to be sufficiently comprehensive.

As Leo says, the new option in v5 does fix this.

However, if you still need to manually ‘un-dot’ a rest:

1. Select it.
  2. Press O (That’s the letter O for Force Duration), then 6. (Or whatever the first rest duration you want.)

Then alt-click that first rest to all other instances.

1 Like