A few days ago I bought the C7 upgrade (from 6.5). I got a link to Cubase_7_Update_Installer_win.exe. However, after I read the post Cubase 7 Update from Cubase 6, I decided to go for the Cubase 7.0.2 Complete Installer.
First of all, I opened the eLicencer Control Center, and registered the C7 license. Then I ran the installer. The install-process was very smooth and quite quick. The Installer had some inteligence, and found the plugins, etc that C6.5 shares with C7 and updated them instead of installing a duplicate set for C7. Nice!
When I started C7, everything seemed to work at first try! All soundcard- and MIDI-connections were there. And all the plugins I know from C6.5 were also there.
Some of the third-party plugins were there too - but not all of them (as expected). But this problem was, luckily, quite easy to solve:
I opened Devices | Plug-in Information | VST 2.x Plug-in Paths and added the paths I was missing, which were:
- C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VSTPlugins
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Guitar Rig 4
- C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins
The first path may be relevant to add for everyone who upgrade from C6.x to C7, and want to keep C6.x on their system - and probably the last path also - if you have installed 3rd-party plugins in C6.x. But anyway, as soon as I had done this, and restarted C7 - BAM! - everything was up and runing, all my plugins, and all my connections. No audible latency neither in the MIDI, nor in the VST domains. No audio-crackles or other strange stuff either. It’s almost unbelievable! I had expected a lot more hassle than this, and would still have been glad if the things worked in the end. But now I’m happy, because everything worked from the start - or, at least, so it seems. And on top of that, C6.5 an C7 are now sharing all the same plugins.
It’s of course possible that some issues may show up (they usually do) - I’ve only tested the program for about 45 minutes - but this was indeed a happy start!