A new MOTU Interface ... is this made for Cubase or even Windows?

Hi everyone,

I have two problem with MOTU M4 & Cubase
This is the two tickets i made with MOTU to find a solution … (still wait for their respond)
*The first one is about noises on my Presonus Eris 8 with the Motu,
*The next one is about the VST simulator for amp guitar ou vocal (monitoring)
Thanks

Hi,
I just receive yesterday the MOTU M4 … but it have a lot of noise in Cubase pro 10.5.30 !
Driver 4.0.9.0087
Firmware V2.0
Windows 10 64bits, 21h1 (up to date)

The noises is not audible in the Headphone but just on my Presonus Eris 8 monitors.
The noise disappeared when Cubase is closed (when i return to the desktop)
This problem does not exist on my HD500X or my SSL 2+ (SSL that i sold) …
So as mentioned this is what i do (or deactivated) :

Use lowest Latency safety Offsets = nothing
Synk Windows Sample rate to device = nothing
I always work on 48 Hz Sample Rate …
I increased the Buffer Size to 64 to 512 = Nothing
I deactivated any plugins (Insert/send) every effect = nothing
I have no digital hardware connected to the MOTU M4 !
I restarted Cubase & the M4 many times … the same for my computer !
The noises is still there in Cubase !

I sold my SSL 2+ to buy the MOTU & this because people said good things about this interface but now i don’t know because i can compare with my actual or previous interfaces … keep in mind that i still have my HD500X which work perfectly !

So what i have to do ?
I have a good PC which was not a problem for my other interfaces until today !

The second problem

I just receive yesterday the MOTU M4 that i use on Cubase pro 10.5.30 & the problems continue more than ever !
Driver 4.0.9.0087
Firmware V2.0
Windows 10 64bits, 21h1 (up to date)
Previous Interface (SSL 2+ solid state logic)
& i still use the HD500X for the guitar sounds …

Of course 100% it’s the drivers … I can’t use the M4 with VST guitar amp in Cubase or even any effects for my voice can’t be used … it doesn’t work at all !
What is going on ?
Before i buy the M4 i used the HD500X which is fully functional but the latency was too high to use any VST emulator … so i decide to buy an other audio interface !
Since yesterday afternoon i’m on this & i can’t use the MOTU !
I returned to my HD500X for tests & everything is fine (apart from the latency) … i’m tired !
For the test i used the same song & same arrangements & the result when i use any VST simulator for vocal (SM7b) or guitar is :
SSL 2+ (on which i composed the song) = work perfectly (the SSL 2+ is sold)
HD500X = work perfectly
M4= not al all

Is this interface is made for Windows ?
Do i have to return to a previous driver or firmware ?

Thanks
Daniel

I have a Motu M4 and have used it with Cubase for 2+ years. I started on 10.5 pro and have been on 11 pro for a few months. I have never experienced the noise you describe. My monitors are JBL LSR studio, so also a lower-end monitoring setup. I run without pops/clicks at 48k with 256 sample buffer and 50+ VSTs all the time. It sounds like a defective M4 to me. This should work “as is”.

ADDED: You may want to check project audio defaults and make sure they match the M4 device settings (sample rate etc.).

Hi,
audio VST amps
All of my previous songs have ben made on the ID14, SSL 2+ & HD500X.
So it seems to be a question of in & out in Cubase … because i can’t use a track with record on it (previous songs) … because it’s already dedicated to an in & out i chose in the Audio connexion parameter in Cubase !

If i start a new song i can create a track with any vst simulator without any latency & everything is fine !
For an unknow reason there was no such a thing when i passed from the ID14 to the SSL 2+ … i mean, a song already started had never differentiated between ID14 and SSL 2+ …everything was fine !
For an unknow reason it’s not the case for the MOTU … i can’t use the tracks for audio VST instruments maybe because Cubase detect more in & out from the MOTU but can’t apply it in the tracks ?!

To continue my work on a song with the M4 it seem that i have to change manualy th IN & Out disposition … it’s sick !

Now,
For the Noises … it’s also a strange issue with a strange solution.
I changeg the cables which are lower quality* … on my Presonus Eris 8 monitors.
I removed the TRS cable 1/4 that linked the M4 to the Eris 8 and change it to a 1/4’’ → XLR … the noise disappeared suddenly !
Understand this fact :
**Again the noise was not there with my other interfaces … i still have my HD500X which have no noise at all (same for my previous ID14 & SSL 2+)

So I looked closely at the M4 & the metal body is very strange & the feeling in the hands !.. the metal used seems to be steel (???) … not as the other interfaces ! … it’s surely the problem 100% !

So for now i still have a problem with my songs … the M4 can’t be used on a used track with a guitar vst amp !
I do not understand because it was not like that with my previous interfaces … for this i can’t recommend this MOTU M4 to anyone !
Still on this since Monday !
A strange tool !

I also have and use the MOTU M4. Win10, right? If yes, go to the Win10 Settings > Turn your MOTU ‘ON’>click ‘Sound’ and choose: Output Device -Out 1-2 (Motu M Series) and then Input Device - In 1-2 (MOTU M Series).

THEN on the upper right hand side of the ‘Sound’ window, click on ‘Sound Control Panel’. In the Playback tab, find your Out 1-2 MOTU M Series and click on it to confirm it is the DEFAULT device. Then click on the Recording tab and confirm that MOTU In 1-2 is the DEFAULT recording device. If you have a sound card in your PC that is not turned off or maybe setup as the Default sound device, then Windows may be confused when you open Cubase.

Then open Cubase. Find the MOTU in the Studio Setup panel under the Studio tab. Confirm the sample setting and the latency numbers. Then open the Connections tab and choose your MOTU Ins/Outs. Cubase should work fine at this point.

If you have any trouble doing this, then I would suggest you haven’t chosen the MOTU as your Default audio device. If you have, then remember to turn the MOTU ‘ON’ before opening Cubase and you should be all set to record and playback. Your other devices MUST be TURNED OFF or you will have a problem.

If not, circle back here and let’s see if we can sort it.

Is this a joke ?

VST amps
All of my previous songs have ben made on the ID14, SSL 2+ & HD500X.
So it seems to be a question of in & out in Cubase … because i can’t use a track with record on it (previous songs) … because it’s already dedicated to an in & out i chose in the Audio connexion parameter in Cubase !

If i start a new song i can create a track with any vst simulator without any latency & everything is fine !
For an unknow reason there was no such a thing when i passed from the ID14 to the SSL 2+ … i mean, a song already started had never differentiated between ID14 and SSL 2+ …everything was fine !
For an unknow reason it’s not the case for the MOTU … i can’t use the tracks for audio VST instruments maybe because Cubase detect more in & out from the MOTU but can’t apply it in the tracks ?!

To continue my work on a song with the M4 it seem that i have to change manualy th IN & Out disposition … it’s sick !

Now,
For the Noises … it’s also a strange issue with a strange solution.
I changeg the cables which are lower quality* … on my Presonus Eris 8 monitors.
I removed the TRS cable 1/4 that linked the M4 to the Eris 8 and change it to a 1/4’’ → XLR … the noise disappeared suddenly !
Understand this fact :
**Again the noise was not there with my other interfaces … i still have my HD500X which have no noise at all (same for my previous ID14 & SSL 2+)

So I looked closely at the M4 & the metal body is very strange & the feeling in the hands !.. the metal used seems to be steel (???) … not as the other interfaces ! … it’s surely the problem 100% !

So for now i still have a problem with my songs … the M4 can’t be used on a used track with a guitar vst amp !
I do not understand because it was not like that with my previous interfaces … for this i can’t recommend this MOTU M4 to anyone !
Still on this since Monday !
A strange tool !

No, not joking. As to your noise issues, in plain speak, bad cables are bad cables.

Back to the MOTU and Cubase, here’s the way things lay out for me. I have two interfaces. If I turn either one on - but not turn BOTH on - then Cubase will find the one that’s on and then I can connect to it. It never fails in my case. When using Cubase, I only have ONE interface turned on. Is this true in your case? It has been my experience that a device that has a proper ASIO driver, preferably of it’s own manufacture (not ASIO 4All), it will always be found by Cubase. Cubase lives for ASIO drivers.

Moving on to your recording behavior. You are saying that your old Project cannot let go of it’s old interface’s ASIO driver? If the device is turned off, and a new ASIO-driver-equipped-interface is turned on, then Cubase will find the new device. However, you say that (I think) that even as your Project accepts the M4 device, you cannot record on top of or add to a track that used another interface to record it. Can I say it? Is this a joke? If you can assign a new ASIO device (in this case the M4) to Cubase, connect it via the Audio Connections tab, and then ASSIGN it’s inputs and outputs to the Project MIXER, then you can record on the already created track with the new ASIO device. The Project is just a collection of data, it doesn’t lock onto a particular interface that has gone away. It will accept any acceptable and working ASIO driven interface you throw at it and let you record onto any pre-created track that exists in the Project. It’s the nature of the beast.