A pair of problems related to tuplet creation

Hi,
Sorry for posting so much recently, but I am trying several things and I have found some strange behaviours that might be bugs.
This one refers to the format of the number of a tuplet. I get a smaller and italic format for a 8:7 tuplet (I think it hapens when the numerator is an “8”). I enclose capture:


I have also found that it is impossible to create a tuplet correctly on the quaver rest in the following example (at the right, the result of creating a 5:4 tuplet on the quaver):

I also enclose the original file.
Thank you.
Untitled Project 3.zip (784 KB)

Re the 8, have you checked that it’s not the weird font you’re using?

Having checked, you’re definitely right that there’s something weird about the number 8. I can’t make it work in any font, and I’ve double-checked a few Dorico files to ensure it’s not your specific project - it’s not your specific project.

I have no idea what your problem is with the 5:4 tuplet, though. You haven’t stated what kind of tuplet you want, but the following all clearly work for me:

35:28, 32nds/demisemiquavers

5:4, 16ths/semiquavers

5:4, 8ths/quavers

Where’s it going wrong for you?

If I open your project on Windows I get the same small italic 8. So I guess it is something weird in the Open Sans font.

Your tuplet numbers are all italic because that’s what is set in Engrave / Font Styles / Tuplet Plain Font.

FWIW If I start a new project with the default fonts and engraving rules etc on Windows, there is no problem with 8’s.

I just tried starting a new project on Windows with Open Sans as the default text font, and discovered I don’t have Open Sans on my PC.

If I print the OP’s file to PDF and look at the Fonts, the Open Sans has been substituted by Tahoma. That is a Microsoft font (developed back in the days of Windows 95!) but it is also bundled with MacOS AFAIK. Visually it looks the same as the OP’s screen dumps.

I wonder if the OP has the same font substitution issue - plus a possible Mac font bug.

Thanks for your answers. Here I post what happens to me:

I have changed the “tuplet plain font” to Times New Roman, and the 8 remains identical. I have changed to “regular” style, and the 8 remains italic (though it is “less italic” than before). It seems that italic is applied two times:
Captura.PNG

You’re doing it wrong, I’m afraid. Select the rest, then enter step entry mode (Enter or Shift+N), then type the number that corresponds to the rhythmic value you want (6 for quarters etc.), then open the tuplet popover. You can see from my examples that
a) it’s much quicker to do than to explain
b) it works reliably

Yes! It works following your steps. I used a shortcut to tuplet creation without calling “step entry mode”. In any case, I think that if it gives not good results, it should be not allowed to create tuplets out of the “step entry mode”…
Thanks!

There are two different functions here:

  1. Tupletise existing notes: this works outside of step entry mode - you select a group of notes, then hit the tuplet shortcut. It assumes the rhythmic value based on the first note selected. It works reliably as long as you’ve selected a group of actual notes. It works less reliably if there are rests involved, as you’ve discovered. By the way, plenty of other people have discovered this, too, and reported it.
  2. Create new tuplet. Only works within step entry. The rhythmic value is reliably determined by typing it before invoking the popover.

I think you’re getting these confused. They’re both very helpful functions, but they do work in slightly different ways.

You are right, both are very helpful. I was just confused by strange things happening :slight_smile:
Thanks again.

The problem with the 8 looking weird is caused by a bug in the factory settings, which I’ll make sure gets fixed. You should be able to fix it for new projects if you’re brave. Find the following folder:

Windows: %PROGRAMDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 2
Mac: /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 2/

Inside here you may find a folder called DefaultLibraryAdditions. If you do, go inside it: if not, then create it. Next, create a folder called something like TupletFix inside DefaultLibraryAdditions. Finally, download the attached zip file, and unzip it. It contains a single file called tupletfix.doricolib. Put this unzipped file into the TupletFix folder you created.

The next time you start Dorico, this .doricolib file will be read and its contents will be loaded into any new project you subsequently create. Unfortunately it’s not so simple to apply this fix to an existing project, but if you want to send me a project in which the fix needs to be made, I can do that for you.
tupletfix.doricolib.zip (1.38 KB)

Thank you Daniel, it seems simple to fix.

Hi Andro.
Simply inputting 5:4e (5 eighth notes in the time of 4 eighth notes) should do.
My guess is you typed 5:4, but the rhthmical value activated was not the eighth note when you invoked the tuplets popover. Specifying the value (e) in the popover settles things.
Hope it helps.

1 Like