A question about custom instrument naming.

An instance where custom instrument names come in handy: opera/MT scores where you want to name the vocal lines by character as opposed to “Soprano” and “Baritone”.

Example here, taken from the first page of Bizet’s Carmen:

Obviously you can rename “Flute” as “Brian” and use that, but then if you want to use an actual Flute in that score you’re scuppered, and if you’ve made the mistake of saving “Brian” as default that’s going to cause problems in any other score that you want to use an actual Flute.

I’ve just realised that if I make a score in the sofware named after the famous Finnish composer and set custom instrument names there, and MusicXML that score over to Dorico, and then in Setup mode edit those instruments and “Save as default” those instruments will appear in the global instrument list.

Can anyone comment on whether this may cause problems anywhere in Dorico? I’m not remotely bothered by playback; only notation.

Why not rename Baritone as Brian?

but then if you want to use an actual Flute in that score you’re scuppered

Am I missing something here? I don’t think renaming one instrument will give you any problems with adding another instrument of the same type.

if you’ve made the mistake of saving “Brian” as default that’s going to cause problems in any other score that you want to use an actual Flute.

Yes - if you overwrite Dorico’s defaults, they will apply to new projects. I wish there was a ‘Revert to Dorico’s defaults’ button, because while I was investigating something for a forum thread, I messed up my own instrument list :laughing:

andgle, the same problem applies if you rename Baritone as Brian. If you have two baritones, then unless their names are Brian 1 and Brian 2 you’ve got a problem.

Of course you can rename as many instruments in the list as you like, but it’s likely to cause problems down the line (as you’ve found!).

What problem?
As long as you don’t hit ‘Save as default for instrument’, I don’t think you’ll have any problem. Or am I missing something?

You are 100% correct, and I’m 100% wrong.
Sincere apologies!

I totally missed the fact that when you edit an instrument name, as long as you DON’T save as default you’re only editing that one instance of the instrument.

I learned that the hard way… :unamused:

(There is also a generic “voice” option to apply to singers which will help circumvent this issue for some.)

I am new to Dorico. My first project was for Flute and Cello, and the payback voices were fine, i.e., Flute and Cello. The SECOND project, I must have messed up something, because now the Flute sounds like a Vocal. What do I do to change back? In my ignorance, I may have tried to change a few things, but now I would like to get back the original Flute. (The problems all began because I wanted the Flute to be louder, so knowing how to deal with Sounds in general will be helpful) Thanks!

Hi ErnieMuse. I already answered that question in another thread… Maybe you should stick to only one thread :wink: Apply default playback template in Play menu (available in Play mode) should do. To deal with sounds, click the HALion editor (little e next to the name in the right panel in playmode) and there you can play with HALion or whatever plug-in you wish to use.