a question about the tempo popover

To all you editors of early music out there, I have a question about using square brackets in a tempo marking.

I am using the tempo popover to suggest an editorial tempo, and I would usually put that in square brackets. However, when I type [h=64], Dorico changes that to h=64. Can anyone suggest another way to indicate that the tempo is editorial? Or let me know how to over-ride the change Dorico has made.

I can’t find anything in the manual.

I am using Dorico Pro 3.5 on a Mac.

Many thanks

There’s not a native way to do this. Dorico allows you to use round brackets around the tempo mark, but not square ones.

I’d use system text and copy-paste the glyphs for the half note. To make it easier, you can define character styles for the music and text to sort out the font size and baselines you want.

Here the half note is Bravura Text, 15pt and offset -3.5. The text is bold, 9.5pt.

Dan - Many thanks for explaining, and showing the text-way to do this. It is still not basic enough, however. In Write mode, I invoke a popover Shift-X, change the font to Bravura, and type h. What I get is an h, and not yet a minim (half-note).
h, not minim.png
Hmmm.

You might use two Tempo Markings:

At beat 1 enter h = 64 in the tempo popover.
At the next rhythmic position enter [ ] in the tempo popover.
Then drag the brackets in Engrave mode where you want them.

Thomas

You need to copy-paste the SMuFL glyph. https://www.smufl.org/version/latest/range/individualNotes/

And use Bravura text as a font, then paste the glyph Dan is talking about.

Also, it should be Bravura Text. Regular Bravura will give you a huge baseline shift.