A Question to All the MIDI Gurus [SOLVED]

Just my 2c … I was playing around with Cubase 5 LE recently as I thought it would be good as a portable solution for basic MIDI arrangement work without risking the eLicenser key when I discovered to my horror that C5LE doesn’t even allow loading VSTis (no VST Rack! :open_mouth: ) so you’re condemned to having to use Instrument Tracks or else listen to your MIDI tracks in silence. This renders the application effectively useless as far as I’m concerned.

Erik,

You’re the man! I followed your suggestion and created a test Expression Map (just random articulations that didn’t have to make sense) and tried it on an Instrument Track. Low and behold, the thing works!!! I was able to switch them via MIDI Channel data, which was unexpected since Instrument Tracks seem to only respond to channel 1. But I guess one is able to override this with the use of Expression Maps. Man, now we’re back in business!

My plan now is to create a master Expression Map for each Orchestral Family, or even a universal one, so I don’t have to worry about which articulations I’ll be using for each piece. I can simply load the ones I’ll use and assign it the corresponding MIDI channel in PLAY. This definitely works for me, and seems to solve my issue. Just need to try it in a real project.

Thanks so much!!! :slight_smile:

Like I said earlier, my workflow is totally different than most people, and thus I always get responses that are similar to yours when I try to explain it. I guess it’s one of those things that you just have to see in order to get it. For me and the way I work, it’s the ideal. Instrument Tracks enable me to move them around any way I want without having to keep track of which VSTi is linked to what (especially with the current inability to rename VSTi’s in the VST Rack). I also don’t have to worry about hiding any tracks. I like to see everything that’s going on in my projects. They also have that handy Instrument Edit button visible on each track as opposed to MIDI Tracks which require using the Inspector in order to get to it (two clicks instead of one). Sure, you can use the VST Rack to do the same, but then you run into the earlier problem of which synth is which (since they all have the same name). Instrument Tracks are the perfect blend of Audio and MIDI for MY workflow. They have all the flexibility I need :slight_smile:

Hi Jose7822,
You’re welcome! Glad to read about the solved problem,
best,
Erik