"A serious problem has occurred..." often in Groove Agent 5

I am repeatedly getting these “A serious problem has occurred…” errors where it asks you to save your work, etc. I just had it happen 3 times in a row in the space of an hour in Groove Agent 5 pretty much each time while swapping out kits, styles, or instruments while Groove Agent was playing a loop of a midi event in Cubase 12 pro. I’ll attach the crash dumps here. Anyone having similar issues?

Cubase 12.0.51.391 64bit 2022.12.6 18.40.42.372.dmp (2.1 MB)
Cubase 12.0.51.391 64bit 2022.12.6 19.06.32.397.dmp (1.7 MB)
Cubase 12.0.51.391 64bit 2022.12.6 19.13.33.059.dmp (1.8 MB)

You are running the wrong version of Cubase. Update to 12.0.52.

Please tag your posts. the # is not a hashtag in this forum software.

Please start tagging your posts. Here’s how

I think I tagged the post properly now. I will upgrade from .51 to .52, but I’m pretty sure that has little to do with the errors I am getting.

Have you already eliminated corrupt preferences as the culprit? (Safe Mode) It’s step #1 for any troubleshooting on Cubase.

All 3 of these crashdumps are related to Groove Agent. You should report this to Steinberg Support.

Next time I use my system, I’ll try disabling preferences, and if the problem continues, I will contact Steinberg. How do I report a bug to them?

I’ve tried using safe mode, and I choose the disable preferences option, but my key commands still work? Shouldn’t it wipe everything out for the session?

nope.

What does it wipe? And if I choose to delete preferences instead of disable, will I then lose key commands, etc?

Only the file Defaults.xml. And, it backs up the old one in the same folder.

You could also simply copy the prefs folder and save that copy in a safe place in case you need it.

There’s a list of what all the settings or preference files contain

1 Like

Ok, I have tried it in safe mode including completely wiping the prefs, but the problem is still happening. I’ve tried reinstalling Cubase and Groove Agent as well - still happening. A new added bonus is that now I have to force quit out of Cubase when the error appears as well. It doesn’t take much playing around in Groove Agent to make the error appear - are others experiencing this?

I went to the support section, but when I click on “submit a ticket” I am redirected to this link:
USA | Steinberg

I’m not sure how to report this to Steinberg?

Cubase 12.0.51.391 64bit 2022.12.7 16.21.13.224.dmp (2.0 MB)
Cubase 12.0.52.393 64bit 2022.12.7 17.49.26.600.dmp (2.0 MB)

I would presume by doing one of the things shown on the page. Is the page not visible to you? It does look like they want you to use email.

Ok, I guess I was expecting some sort of form to fill in. But, yes, I can send an email :slight_smile:

Interestingly, I opened up Pro Tools Intro and loaded Groove Agent 5 into it, dragged the same pattern into a track, looped it, and then proceeded to change kits and instruments with no issues. I find this very surprising - Groove Agent 5 seems to be more stable running in Pro Tools than it is in Cubase 12 Pro??? I must admit with my recent outlay of cash on Steinberg products, I’m starting to feel a little tinge of buyer’s remorse. I really hope they can get this sort of thing fixed. I also see so many people complaining of crashes and freezing on the forum. ugh.

Ok, I just tried Groove Agent 5 a bit more in Pro Tools Intro, and it did crash protools afterall. Here’s the error message in protools. So whatever is wrong with Groove Agent, it’s crashing multiple DAWs with access violations.

That’s interesting because it points to a local problem.

I noticed you’re on Windows 10 20H1, from May of 2020. Can you update? I think this is a good idea.

My hunch is that your crash is related to a Windows OS problem, or missing .NET files which should be installed during Cubase installation.

What I would do now:

• Update Windows
    → see if that fixes it, and if not,
  • uninstall Cubase and Groove Agent using the Program Manager (or Add and Remove Programs in Windows Settings)
  • then, running the installers as Admin, install Cubase, and then Groove Agent.

If you really can’t update Windows, run sfc /scannow, a utility that tries to repair Windows OS missing or corrupted files.

There are always crash reports in the forum, I really wouldn’t draw any conclusions from that though. Many of the crashes recently were due to C12.0.51, which got released with a big bug. I see from the crash reports that you updated Cubase to 12.0.52, good, imo.

The USA support people might have better ideas too.

That’s weird because my system is definitely fully updated, windows 10 22H2

I did email USA support - hopefully that yields something. I’ll try your other ideas tomorrow.

Thanks!

WinDbg must not give the actual version number, I see the same thing on my machine.

Good luck, post back how it goes with support.

It’s odd that I still haven’t had any response to email to USA support about this issue - not even an acknowledgement that they have received my email.

yes. I would just try the other contact methods, chat and phone.

Everything that you just stated I have happened to me 1. I’m glad it’s not just me2. I’m sick and tired of it.
I lost what was beginning to be some of the best work i have ever created…