A simple introduction to Expression Maps

Just to make it clear that I at no point meant to suggest you should be playing anything in live for Dorico recording-- I don’t and probably couldn’t! The reference to the mod wheel was simply illustrative as to what CC1 traditionally is used for. If playing around on a keyboard, you can equally easily use the slider on the VST interface in most cases

1 Like

CC1 and CC11 sliders work together and in most libraries should both be used. It’s irrelevant which is the primary though by convention, the first tends to be programmed for CC1 (or velocity). Again, the design of the specific VST should be your guide, rather than anything in Dorico itself.

Just to make things slightly more confusing is the CC7 slider which refers to Master Volume. As a rule this should not be changed, otherwise it will indeed be fighting against CC11 which has the same function but is designed to be edited. An additional point is that with some libraries, even if there is no specific mapping to one of the dynamic controllers in Dorico, it may respond anyway if you draw a line in manually in the automation lane. Others don’t. Life was never meant to be simple…

Take baby steps. After all, you can easily change the sounds at a later date just by applying a different playback template.

Forgive me, but I’m beginning to think your search for the ‘perfect sound’ is just an excuse to avoid getting started!

Similarly your concerns over computing resources… Any mid-range PC will be fine, although I would recommend dual monitors! Dorico needs a screen to itself. The other monitor shows the VSTs, Dorico help files, web browser (this forum) etc…

Definitely. I was responding to Mike_999’s post immediately above mine. You are always most helpful and generous with your comments on this forum, and you have been so to me several times.

1 Like

I would recommend dual monitors !

A really important suggestion that will immensely help in managing windows, several of which should be viewable at all times, else one’s time and attention is constantly devoted to closing or moving some and opening others.

To be sure, not all can afford this, so one has to do the best one can with what one has. But looking back at my experience, having a second monitor is more important than having a second library. Not having it could slow down one’s progress in DAW work.

My main point here was the quality of the DAC, not the number of ports and flexibility which, as you rightly say, tend to grow with the more expensive units. Of course the quality of the sound chip becomes irrelevant if you are not playing things through a half decent hifi system. I noticed a large improvement in playback when upgrading to an RME sound module for instance. Not to be ignored, I think, is the quality of the drivers. If they are poor, you may find Dorico crashes more than it should for instance.

I wholeheartedly agree with your point about DAC quality but we were drafting our responses to bill19 at the same time and I never saw or read yours until after I was finished.

of course – our replies were drafted independently but I don’t see any areas of disagreement.

I have actually tried recording notes and cc data at the same time, but at the moment recording cc data is not really practical:

If you pause moving mod wheel during recording, dorico will leave gaps to the recorded automation (cc data). Then when you listen back what has been recorded, dorico will fill out those gaps with cc data from the expression map, based on whatever dynamic was ”left on” before the recorded passage.

The solution would be to have only one automation region for the recorded passage by default. If someone would have time, this could be also made into a separate post/suggestion.