a wish request

(sorry I had to edit the message because it wasn’t clear at all what I meant, sorry my brain is off.)

Hello Daniel,

This is from my wishing list but I think more people would enjoy.

It would be really great to expand the Beat stress section of the Playback Options with the possibility of having negative numbers as a way to give the desire accent on the 1/8th notes upbeat, or adding another section “Increase written dynamic of other upbeats”. It would give to the great Swing playback feature another typical characteristic of a general bebop 1/8th note line.

I hope this wouldn’t be to difficult. For some of us it would mean a great advantage, rather than having to place accents every other 1/8th note to achieve the same effect.

an example of how it would sound, from The art of jazz trumpet by John McNeil:
Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 10.31.04 PM.png
Best regards,
Carlos

Thanks for your suggestion, Carlos. In the future I anticipate that we will have a more general “groove” feature that will allow you to adjust the stress and timing of notes in different beat-relative positions, though I don’t think we will be adding this in the very near future.

Just so I don’t start yet another thread:

A (very minor) wish from me for a 2.___ update would be that Dorico would default to “mono” rather than “color” when exporting PDFs as the overwhelming majority of scores are simply black. It just strikes me as funny every time I have to click on mono rather than color. I definitely see the value in having the color option, I just don’t think it should be the default value.

Thanks!

Dear Romanos401,
I might be wrong, but I think the mono version would not take into account any opacity/transparency operation on the output. This would lead to many problems for those of us who “hide” things through that workaround…

Good point. Hadn’t thought of that. Well, if that’s the case Daniel can most certainly ignore my suggestion. (At least for now.) Although, I do wonder if “mono” is truly binary (black/white) or if it is actually “grayscale”. If it’s the latter then my suggestion still stands. :wink:

Dear Daniel,

I am very happy knowing that is something you have future plans for it. That is great!

Best regards,
Carlos

Mon and grayscale are different. In mono, data is stored as a simple yes/no. In grayscale, it’s stored in increments of 0 to 255.

For images, file size for the latter is typically significantly larger, somewhere on the scale of 8 or 9 times larger. Not sure how that translates in Dorico though.