Abandon the USB dongle

No matter what people say, dongles ARE an annoyance.

Both Logic Pro X, Studio One and Ableton Live let you install on several computers without a dongle and they seem to be doing ok.

I wouldn’t mind just one dongle but several dongles = trouble. In order for me to work with my preferred tools I have to use 3 dongles = 3 usb ports. iLok, e-licenser and usb stick (waves - it was better when they were on iLok :frowning: ). Having to use 3 usb ports just for dongles sure is a pain, especially when you are travelling with a laptop. The fear of losing a dongle is another downside.

I wish Syncrosoft and iLok would merge so there would be One Dongle to rule them all!

There always will be pirates whenever and whatever antipiracy technology invented. It’s so simple - if something invented by human it always can be reverse-engineered by human. There always will be a troll in cave who just for a sport will crack any software and spread across the world. Just for fun. Just for clicks. And pirate sites offers advertising of another things not related to pirate stuff, so their business is connected to any of us anyway.

It is very annoying to remember to put something in USB port if I need to fix a new idea. Any error around this kills any creative process. We should do things that makes us a robot. Remember do this, then this and only then you can be yourself and create music.

No one hold USB dongle in laptop’s USB port. We put it in and out every day many times. After a year of using new laptop I have mechanical issues on both regular USB 3.0 ports, but USB-C 3.1 isn’t usable at all - with the adapter it doesn’t have a strong connection.

Actually, I don’t think Cubase has been cracked since what? 5? I think 5 or 4 was the last cracked version.

Honestly, I don’t know. Maybe this is a reason they still stay on this technology wonder :slight_smile:
But I guess I saw somewhere a download of Cubase 9 with crack. I didn’t check if it was real, I use Cubase since 8.0 (Elements) and dongled Pro since 9.0.

But is there any DAW cracked that uses iLock? Not dongle iLock, but soft.

A couple of years ago I was working in a studio where the owner was doing a lot of post running Nuendo. He owned a license but he was actually running a cracked version of Nuendo. Why? According to him the cracked version was more stable and had better dsp performance since the software didn’t have to check the USB port for copy protection all the time.

He had been running Cubase and Nuendo for a really long time so I guess he should know.

This would be game changing.
From my observations Cubase runs smoothly if dongle is in the same USB port in which it was when it was identified for first time. The same is with Yamaha audio drivers on some computers (not my laptop, but a studio desktop) - they run smoothly only on USB port it was initialized first time. On others USB port (I have 6) it is working with crackles and interruptions. Both I use - UR242 and MG10XU. On laptop, which is some 5 years younger, all things work more accurately with sound, but also have problems with dongle. Maybe should buy new?

This is nonsense, snakeoil plasebo.
Back in days with SX3, this was true, but not with Cubase 5(32bit) or Nuendo 4(32bit) which are the latest cracked Cubendos. I wonder why anyone would even think about using 32bit application, when he has license for 64bit, either total idiot or lied about the license. I have nothing against dongle, I have got used to it… though I wouldn´t mind to have free second license on my spare key

Well, I would avoid that studio like the plague. Partly because he’s running cracked software(is it going to be reliable???), but mostly because of the crap system he must be running it on if the dongle plugged in was slowing it down so much.
Image listening to a so-called professional saying, “we managed to record half the song before the system failed. If you can just wait till I can buy a new processor and ram to handle the dongle that would be great. Actually, can you pay me now and I’ll nip down the local computer store.”

Cubase Pro? I’m pretty sure it’s a virus. Last cracked version is 5 - so they know that every single person using Cubase 6 through 10.5 has paid for it. Knowing this metrics is also incredibly important when running a business.

Hahaha, it was actually a really fast computer with loads of plugins and never crashed once, which was really the point, wasn’t it?
He wanted to AVOID problems and therefore ran the cracked version as it was more stable then the legit version (mind you he had a license).

Tbh, I would be happy if my system was that stable today and I only run legit purchased software.

I believe this. When I transferred my licenses from an older to newer model dongle, Cubase sped up and became much more responsive. The dongle has an impact on the speed of the program, at the very least by using the latest hardware version. So I believe that removing it entirely from the system may further speed up Cubase.

As far as you know. :wink:
Mind you, this was a couple of years ago.

I used to think that it was an effective way of making sure that Steinberg developers were better paid but after you see the latest quality issues of the software and compare to the competitors that are not running a dongle (Image Line, Ableton, Logic, Bitwig), it looks almost like it has the opposite effect.

For users, I confirm that it also discourages me from using Cubase.

It’s not only that USB ports are precious today, but the size of the dongle makes it absolutely inconvenient when you are on the road, so I always end up using other DAWs if I have to sketch or test something.

Bottom line: Remove the dongle and if you really think this is not going to work, at least, create a smaller version (like modern Wifi, Bluetooth or Logitech mouse receivers that are barely 50mm and can be carried with the computer).

I even prefer solutions like Code Meter that lets ju install on 2 computers WITHOUT a dongle.
One license for the studio computer and one for the travel laptop. Done.
It would be totally enough for me and best of all - no dongle.

On my desktop I’ve four dongles (USB for Waves, Reason, iLok and eLicenser).
On my laptop since a few weeks I’ve none and working with non-dongled-music-software and it works fine for me.
Cubase is great but for myself I’m thinking about which “greatness” I need. This also applies to my other dongles sw.
I will have a sharp look on the next Cubase update.
Wavelab, which I used often and only on my desktop will survive on my desktop system.
Softdongles are not an option because of harddiskcrash, I like C/R, a simple serial or a license file.

Yes What he/she said…My computer has limited ports and I cannot use Cubase on the go…just USE ilok if necessary, PLEASE! That and simplify the the look and we are golden!!!

A few months later and I have decided to come and check back on this thread. Thanks to an unfortunate incident which is no fault of my own, my dongle broke apart into shredded little pieces, meaning I’m down nearly $1000 in software. I wondered if there was any progress on the discussion here, or if any Steinberg representatives would have stepped up to the plate and proceeded to address this issue publicly. Of course they wouldn’t, because that would be both transparent and responsible of the company to do so.

Furthermore, I see that there are people who are actually standing in their ways to defend this little piece of antiquity as if it’s going to revolutionize anti-piracy measures, in where the stick manages to best the incentive of the carrot. I cannot speak to their mental capacity. However, if I were to estimate the amount of any user defending the dongle, it’d be rather low.

But let’s address two of my favourite posts here: one from a user who thinks that not adhering to using a dongle is the user’s fault, rather than the company for creating the problem, and another who believes that I’m abandoning the company because “the company is doing whatever it can to protect itself”. The first user can’t understand that in order to lay an egg, a chicken is needed first, and that eggs don’t appear out of nowhere. This makes them unable to comprehend basic logic, which makes me wonder how they ever learned to navigate a DAW successfully. The second user cannot see that other measures exist to prevent piracy, including granting incentive to the users, or by less invasive measures. Their lack of imagination makes me wonder if they can ever make it as a musician.

Either way, I’m always looking for recommendations for the competition.

Yikes, guy. Just use a different DAW if it makes you so irritated and butthurt that you have to talk like an absolute wrench.

I looked back in the thread a little and saw that you’re the one without the ability to comprehend basic logic that I addressed in my last post! So, it cannot possibly be that I am butthurt. Instead, I’m raising a legitimate concern with my purchase, which by all means should give me a license to a product that I purchased. But of course, you have no comprehension of this, so it is clear that you’re beneath the rest of the thread who have raised legitimate grievances with how our product is distributed to us.

Humor me: How did you ever learn how to navigate a DAW?

My original comment wasn’t even directed toward you. Except for the “tired of the threads” part. I don’t particularly like the dongle. It does seem pretty antiquated. But then again it’s never really hindered me. It’s a minor inconvenience that I have to take it with me to use on a laptop. An inconvenience, but minor nonetheless… But the fact is Steinberg will probably never change it. There is a new thread about dongles almost every week. If they keep it, or do away with it, it will never make a difference to me. But again, the solution is pretty simple. Just don’t use the software? Your hyperbole and insulting people’s intelligence is lame and a bad look. Simmer down. Maybe step away from Cubase for a while and relax. Go for a swim. Read a book. Seems like a piece of software is causing you dubious amounts of stress :+1: