Ability to display both sharps & flats in key editor

It’s not just score though, I’m talking about key and list editors (and indeed throughout Cubase) - if a key has been set, it should be reflected here.

I long ago (i.e. in the late 90s) gave up any chance of the score editor getting fixed properly!

Actually, this problem does not exist in Score Edit, obviously. curteye probably meant that it’s score users who care so much about sharps and flats display, but that’s not the subject of this free-ranging thread. :astonished:

I do lots of work in Score edit, it’s great for small ensemble stuff.

+1 DEFINITELY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!

However, I still come across this all the time - it’s incredible how confusing it can be when you’re trying to teach someone who’s just getting their head around key signatures and some basic theory, and you then have to tell them that despite you saying that there are flat keys they all get displayed as sharps in Cubase. When a kid just about understands that there’s a B flat in the key of F and then has to make the mental jump to having an A and an A# in his work, it’s incredibly hard for some of them (I’d say just about all who don’t have a formal music background before I start teaching them).

Come on, Steinberg, it can’t be that hard to do? (If you can be bothered, of course!)

I too would love to have resolution to this, it drives me batty to be in Eb and see all the sharps.

1 Like

Fingers crossed a fix is just around the corner.

C8 still the same problem :frowning: … it’s very very confusing thinking in flats and see sharps! …one day we will be happy to see flats in the key Editor…I hope very soon

I posted about this in cubase 8 issues, got shunted to the ghetto, I think. It’s so unmusical not to be able to define a note as what it should look like in a certain context. So, nope, not fixed. But a good suggestion. The first time i saw D# in an Ab major section … well …

+1 and more please Steinberg! It makes no musical sense as it is now.

Mike.

YES +1 !! Why can’t you set the key of the project globally?

+1

It’s essential to have Flat Keys and Flat notes displayed as Flats rather than Sharps.

I hunted and hunted through the Operations Manual and the forums hoping to find there was one little setting I’d so far missed to simply flip the notes from Sharps to Flats. I much prefer working in Flat Keys.

(Thanks for the excellent suggestion about using the note color tools to make things clearer.)

My mind’s view looking at an ‘Eb’ major scale in the Key Editor. :wink:

ROTFL :slight_smile: :laughing:

[…] someone who’s just getting their head around key signatures and some basic theory, and you then have to tell them that despite you saying that there are flat keys they all get displayed as sharps in Cubase.

The Flat Keys are my old friends and It just makes my head hurt to have do enharmonic transposing all the time. C7 is C, E, G, Bb, not A# and so on and on. I have an emotional, creative link to Keys, as I’m sure many of us do, and so not having “my friends” the Flat Keys around feels like something’s missing – :cry:

I love the Chord Assistant and the many harmonic features in Cubase, but I work a lot in Flat Keys and hope there will be some adjustment to allow for this soon.

Perfect!

What I find baffling is if they have the capability to do it correctly in the Score Editor why can’t they just use it in the Key Editor :question: :unamused: :question:

I’m sure if it were that simple they would.

FWIW, I’d be able to adapt to any symbolic convention to make Flat Keys work if the program engineering sides needed it (or whatever). Rather than using “b” for Flat, iI think nearly any reasonable character would work to represent Flat-Named Notes. Access to Flat Keys/Notes in Chords and Scales is essential and would make the product (Cubase Pro 8) more professional and much easier to work with. i hope Flat Keys/Notes get worked into Cubase. “Home Run” for the company if they can make Flat Keys/Notes happen “this season.”

One good thing about this thread, I’m now F double-sharp sure it’s not just me missing a setting to see the Flats.

I find it annoying that a product like Cubase cannot display flats in the Midi Key Editor. You guys should really fix that. What would it take to make this a priority. It’s called “Bb” and not A#. “Everyone knows that.”

BUMP and +1000

This is a simple fix. If the “Note Name” option can handle Solfege and the “Naming Format” can handle “Hemholtz” then a check box to favor flats should be easy. They could even fit A#/Bb in the “Event Display” without a preference and it would end this maddening oversight.

This… when programmers code music without thinking much about music theory. ARRRGH!

Seriously… I’m editing a piece in Ab Minor with complex harmonies… Literally every note looks wrong in the Cubase display. Today… this is killing me.