? about I/O between Cubase Artist 6 and interface

Hi All,

I am new to the recording process. I am a drummer that wants to record myself using Cubase Artist 6.5. I have 10 mics on my drums.

I have a question about audio interfaces. The guy at Guitar Center said I could use the 8 inputs on an interface (for example: the Steinberg MR816CSX) and use the Firewire output connected to my computer, to record into Cubase, 8 separate tracks at the same time.

First, is this correct? Will Firewire deliver 8 separate tracks into Cubase?

Second, the example of the MR816CSX says it has 16 outputs. Can I use the Firewire and ADAT/SPDIF outputs connected to the computer to take advantage of the 16 outputs?

Third, does Cubase Artist 6.5 allow the use of different I/Os?

I have looked on the net and in different forums and have not found the answers to these questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The MR816CSX has 8 analog inputs and 8 analog outputs, they can all be used simultaneously.
It also has 8 channel ADAT and SPDIF.

You can chain up to 3 devices together via the one firewire port to give a total of 24 analog in/out simultaneously.

Cubase Artist allows 32 physical ins and outs at the same time.

Thanks for the reply, Split.

What brand of interface do you recommend? I have looked at the Steinberg, Presonus and MOTU.

Thanks again!

I can’t recommend one as the parameters are way to wide, but there will be plenty here that will. Choose wisely :wink: