About MIDI Randomizing..

Hello. I’m an owner of Elements 6 and dont have “MIDI Logical Editor” and MIDI Plugins features in my version (poor guy, eh :unamused: ).

What i want, is to randomize my MIDI Drum tracks between two certain velocity values, so that it will sound more “humanized”. I’ll use it for Kicks and Snares primarily. How can i do it except doing it manually by hand? :slight_smile:

I´m not sure, if Cubase Elements 6 has it, but did you check,
if you have options available in the menu MIDI - Logical Presets?
If you do have, there is a preset for Random Velocity.

Hope you get lucky.
All the best.

Roger

Hello, and thanks for your answer. Yeah, there are some presets there but they are gray and “un-clickable”, probably because of my version :neutral_face:

Do you have MIDI Modifiers in the Inspector? Try randomizing from there. You can also set a range so the velocity doesn’t go above or below a certain value.

I have this, but this affects the WHOLE midi track, i just want to play with kick and snares :wink:

Then dissolve the MIDI track by pitch, and isolate the snare and BD notes. And read the manual, plenty of useful info in there…

You may be disappointed. I have always found that doing it manually sounds more human tp my pro drummer’s ears.
Either that or, if a long piece, you couold randomise and then tweak any rogue bars but I found that it took almost as long as by hand.
Try and find some midi files of drums in your style on the net and study the dynamic. You may be surprised at how little actually needs to be done.

Actually, i’m not a drummer, i’m playing guitars and recording some stuff for local bands in here. Most of them doesnt even know, what MIDI is :slight_smile: So, while drum-editing, it becomes quite weird to tell them “humanize your hits” :mrgreen: So, i’ve decided to do this process by myself instead of them. My point is, to get far from so-called “machine-gun” effect as much as possible :wink:

I haven’t done this myself yet as I’ve only just thought of it but if, just for the rolls, you load TWO instances of the same VSTi and kit and then split the rolls across the two. Have one for left hand and one for right.
I mean you’d probably have to program the drum roll on one kit and then shift the "hands " around… with cut and paste, say. Little fiddly but the machine gun is usually caused by the machine rather than the player or his programming. It’s more the retriggering of samples and, you may find things a little bit more real. You may find you need three kits, one for the cymbals as they are most affected by fast repetition.
Doing a roll on cymbals (on the one VSTi) should show you where and what the limitations are and why I suggest this.
Separate VSTi instances so they don’t behave like (because they would be) one machine, don’t just copy the tracks.

i don`t play keyboards, i play guitar and so i got a guitar midi controller pickup ,i can play keyboard parts and get all the sounds and wot not ,but i can also play the drums on it obviously not all at once, but i can build them up and get a total human feel with it, velocities and placements ,but i have to dicipline myself with it cause if i am laying down an hi hat for example it is very tempting to put in crazy rhythms just because i am only doing one part at a time ,i have to try think like a drummer.

i don`t play keyboards, i play guitar and so i got a guitar midi controller pickup ,i can play keyboard parts and get all the sounds and wot not ,but i can also play the drums on it obviously not all at once, but i can build them up and get a total human feel with it, velocities and placements ,but i have to dicipline myself with it cause if i am laying down an hi hat for example it is very tempting to put in crazy rhythms just because i am only doing one part at a time ,i have to try think like a drummer.

It is actually better with midi guitar. Midi guitars and basses can do wonders for drums and string parts.
I try and think like a drummer but my mind keeps going blank. :mrgreen:

i deliberately stayed clear of the drummer jokes, this being a majority of automated instruments type forum ,dont quite sound right "how many drum machines does it take to change a light bulb" or "how do you know when a drum machine is knocking on your door" doesnt have the same ring.

I can do drummer jokes as I am one.
I know a drum machine is knocking at my door because it always crashes at the first kick… :laughing:

this is for you then. http://gimp137.tripod.com/myfun.com/id18.html