Absoute5

Hallo liebe Steinberg Community,

Wie ihr sicher schon es gesehen habt ist Absolute 5 veröffentlicht worden.
Meine anfangs Euphorie ist leider in eine große Enttäuschung bzw. In Frustration entwichen.
Nun stelle ich mir die Frage ob ich der einzige bin der das so sieht.
Irgendwie finde ich die meisten Halion Erweiterungen die mit A5 kommen veraltet und nicht der Zeit entsprechend.
Das Steinberg es nicht Schaft Instrumente zu entwickeln die Schritt halten können mit Native Instruments, Spectrasonics , UVI, U-he,East West, Refx…etc. geht mir nicht in den Kopf.
War mal nicht Steinberg Vorreiter von Virtuellen Instrumenten.
Ich warte immer noch auf eine gute e-Gitarren Erweiterungen sogar Dom musste seine Gitarre einspielen. Ich kann das nicht wo ist bitte die Erweiterung dafür.
Zwar ist Retrolouge 2 vom Sound her nicht schlecht aber es fehlen die Presets. Es ist schön wenn Dom sagt das ich seine Preset Einstellungen übernehmen kann aber wieso sind die nicht schon längst als Standard drin.
Wenn ich dann die Bläser mir anhöre in Halion sorry dann sind die Session Horns von Ni nicht um Längen besser dann reden wir schon von Dimensionen.
Dann bekommt man noch die ausgelutschten Erweiterung für Groove Agent wo ich mir denke das ist doch wohl ein schlechter Witz.
Als Krönung bekommt man dann noch die Uralten Halion Strings. Sorry da platzt mir die Hutschnur.
99€ Für das Upgrade sind dann immer noch zu viel obwohl man Backbone bekommt…
Sorry aber vielleicht Bin ich der einzige der so denkt dann sollte das auch hier die Steinies nicht weiter tangieren.
Beste Grüße

2 Likes

Dieses Upgrade zeigt wieder deutlich den Unterschied wie beispielsweise UVI seine Kunden behandelt und wie steinberg. Hinweis : bei UVI fühle ich mich wert geschätzt.
Als UVI Vintage vault 3 veröffentlicht hat gab es einen attraktiven einführungspreis und Produkte, die ich bereits gekauft hatte, wurden angerechnet. Ich habe die fehlenden Produkte kostenlos bekommen.
Den Witz hier werde ich zu dem Preis bestimmt nicht kaufen, die nächste UVI Veröffentlichung hingegen zu 100%.

2 Likes

Do we have a translate option here?

Hello dear Steinberg Community,

As you have probably already seen, Absolute 5 has been released.
My initial euphoria has unfortunately turned into great disappointment and frustration.
Now I ask myself whether I am the only one who sees it that way.
Somehow I find most Halion expansions that come with A5 outdated.
That Steinberg can’t create instruments that can keep up with Native Instruments, Spectrasonics, UVI, U-he, East West, Refx…etc. is beyond me.
Wasn’t Steinberg the pioneer of virtual instruments?
I’m still waiting for a good electric guitar extensions even Dom had to record his guitar. I can’t……where is the extension for it please.
The sound of Retrolouge 2 is not bad but the presets are missing. It’s nice when Dom says I can use his preset settings, but why aren’t they already in there by default?
If I listen to the horns in Halion then the session horns of Ni are not better by lengths then we are already talking about dimensions.
Then you get the well-worn extension for Groove Agent, which I think is a bad joke.
To top it off, you get the ancient Halion strings. Sorry, my hat is bursting.
99€ for the upgrade is still too much although you get Backbone…

The HALion Factory Content is basically comparable to the Kontakt Factory Library. Both of those are quite dated.

Comparing Hot Brass to Session Horns is like comparing Windows 3.11 Write to Microsoft Word 2019.

Steinberg needs to invest in developing more Expansion Content. There isn’t much there, so there is bound to be high levels of polarization when they launch new revisions of Absolute surrounding which Expansions they decide to throw in there. This also limits how much they can throw in there, as too much will make it impossible to sell any content to people who buy the Absolute bundle… They would have already gotten it in the bundle.

I think the new ePiano and eBass are fine. They sound good, but usefulness depends heavily on the person buying the bundle. Backbone is great for sound design. No one will complain about that.

However, the Retrologue 2 Expansion Sounds of Soul is extremely polarizing, as is the Groove Agent Expansion Future Past Perfect, which is aimed squarely at the EDM Genres. There is far too much “Retro” and EDM content in this bundle. Komplete is far better at delivering a content pallete that is of good quality and also caters to varying music production market segments.

I think the upgrade pricing is fine if you need (or want) any of the three bigger ticket items in the bundle (Backbone, Electric Bass or Amped Elektra). It’s only $99.

I’d only buy Absolute for the Instruments (assuming you’re a Cubase or Nuendo user, otherwise I would not bother at all) - primarily HALion 6, Groove Agent 5, Backbone… It’s cheaper to buy the bundle than those three individually. There are workflow benefits to using these if you use Cubase. The Sound Content is more of a bonus, as there are a few useful things in there. It’s just not brimming with value the way Komplete is.

If I weren’t a Cubase user, I’d get Falcon 2 over HALion and skip the rest.

No one should be buying Absolute 5 over Komplete 13 for the Synths or Sound Content, IMVHO. It holds very little value in that department. Hell, if you have Komplete 13, even HALion is a questionable purchase if you aren’t a Library Developer, due to Reaktor 6 existing in that bundle (and with better Synths).

2 Likes

hi @SBC11,

you may be right in terms of “150% innovative content” (or “additional plug-ins featuring tons of ready made presets”) - but perhaps only at first sight.

Yet what I find really amazing is the fact that - as of now - none of you’ve mentioned the addition of that outright fantastic (!) Padshop 2 sound expansion (by Simon Stockhausen) to the new Absolute 5 Collection. It’s called “Polarities” and it’s also available separately (again: as a Padshop 2 expansion, which would of course require to also have Cubase Artist / Pro, including at least some personal interest in this kind of electric acoustic material, plus enough free time to explore all the possibilities). This Padshop expansion shows the full extent of what can really be achieved sonically / musically within Padshop. I’ve been already using “Polarities”, so if I hadn’t had it, I’d buy the Update from Absolute 4 to Absolute 5 “and then would also have some nice extra stuff to work with in addition”. Conclusion: this current bundle offer is - more than anything else - a matter of individual perspective. Not everyone has (or wants, or needs) to go for it.

Apart from this: whenever I take a closer (unfiltered) look at my Media Bay and its roughly around 65.000 presets, I can always find enough different drum kits, basses, strings / string groups, mallets, brass instruments, woodwinds, short MIDI sequences, pianos, FX, etc. (or what-have-you), so I don’t think anything essential (or useful) is missing. Apart from some more thoroughly designed vocal / choir expansion… perhaps. Yet none of the current audio studio content producing companies “have it all”, as these things are being created “within a vast market”. There’s not much use of constantly bickering about one or the other company for “not having everything in terms of latest tech at the lowest price tags”. You’ll have to go where you think you can get happier. It’s as simple as that - the rest would be depending on your personal inventiveness and adaptability to various materials, devices, skills, tools, methods and sounds.

As to the innovative aspect - there’s indeed some grain of truth in your criticism: even I’d really appreciate it if Steinberg went a little more forward and - perhaps - did some sort of cooperation with that relatively young company which creates the SWAM product line of physically modelled acoustic instruments. In my ears, they sound absolutely excellent, and much more adaptable than “yet another big sample library containing tens of thousands of new presets”. As soon as I can afford their instruments, I’ll try and acquire them anyway. Similarly when it comes to Absolute 5, which - by the way - saves you slightly more than 350 EUR, compared to all its single items’ price tags, if summed up (467,96 EUR in total, if I’m not mistaken). And no: those separate items are not “overpriced”. One thing all of us have to understand is that software developers also want to feed their families and themselves. In a vast, fast and exceptionally rough market.

(my 2 cts, as always to be taken with a grain of salt)

Cheers,
Markus

2 Likes

Gude Markus,

Da muss ich dir auch bedingt recht geben, zwar ist P2 jetzt kein totalausfall und ich habe es auch schon mal genutzt aber das war vor Jahren.

Als Sounddesigner Tool keine schlechte Nummer aber wenn man in die Pop, Rnb, Trap oder Chart Richtung gehen will nicht das was man benötigt.

Und 39 Euronen für Presets zu verlangen ist schon ziemlich viel, wenn man bedenkt das man für das Geld bei Uvi eine Falcon Erweiterung bekommt und bei NI für 29€ Massiv X Presets Expansions (bin bei leibe auch kein Massive X Fan).

Dann kommen wir auf die 130 GB oder die 7.500 Presets zu sprechen.

Halion 6 oder Halion Sonic 3 sind schon sehr veraltet und überfällig für ein Überarbeitung der Oberfläche. Der Sound und die Erweiterungen habe ich ja oben erwähnt sind erbärmlich und liegen weit hinter der Konkurrenz. Da gehen auch die meisten Presets hin. Wer Benutzt den bitte noch HALion Symphonic Orchestra. Da müsste sich Steinberg schämen dafür. Wieso bekommt man nicht Iconic als light Version oder die Iconica Ensembles oder die Halion Strings mal aufpolieren.

Die sind doch schon eingestampft genau wie the Grand 3.

Und NEIN die Erweiterungen in Eagle, Raven und Studio Strings sehe ich nicht als alternative ich sehe das eher als ein Rückschritt.

Amped Elektra und Electric Bass sind vergleichbar mit Waves Bass Fingers und

Waves Electric Pianos was für mich jetzt kein Respekt verdient, sondern eher ein „sehr Nett“.

Sound of Soul wurde 2014 veröfentlicht Future Past Perfect 2015. Wow ich glaub es nicht bitte korrigiert mich, wenn ich da falsch liege das ist richtig mies und kein schlag, sondern eher ein Tritt ins Gesicht.

Aber ich bin mir sicher das der Hans das noch benutzten wird in seinen nächsten Filmen.

Und ich könnte noch weiter machen aber so langsam gebe ich es auf. Steinberg ist zurzeit ein totaler Ausfall leider.

Hi Markus,

I have to agree with you, P2 is not a total failure and I have used it before but that was years ago.

As a sound designer tool not a bad number but if you want to go in the pop, rnb, trap or chart direction not what you need.

And 39 € for presets to charge is quite a lot, if you consider that you get for the money at Uvi a Falcon expansion and at NI for 29 € Massive X Presets Expansions (an I am not Massive X fan).

Then we come to the 130 GB or the 7,500 presets to speak.

Halion 6 or Halion Sonic 3 are already very outdated and overdue for an overhaul of the interface. The sound and enhancements I mentioned above are pathetic and far behind the competition. That’s also where most of the presets go. Who uses still HALion Symphonic Orchestra. Steinberg should be ashamed of itself. Why don’t you get Iconic as a light version or the Iconica Ensembles or just polish up Halion Strings and make it sound good again.

But they have already been discontinued just like the Grand 3.

And NO the extensions in Eagle, Raven and Studio Strings I don’t see it as an alternative I see it more as a step backwards.

Amped Elektra and Electric Bass are comparable with Waves Bass Fingers and

Waves Electric Pianos which for me does not deserve respect but rather a “nice”.

Sound of Soul was released in 2014 Future Past Perfect 2015 Wow I don’t believe it please correct me if I’m wrong this is really bad and not a slap but rather a kick in the face.

But I’m sure Hans will use it in his next movies.

And I could go on but slowly I give up. Steinberg is a total failure at the moment, unfortunately.

I still use HALion Symphonic strings. They work great for me. I layer them with others from NI and Garritan and that method makes all of them sound and blend better. But what do I know, I’ve used everything from a Casio CZ101 to a DX7 to an Alesis Nano Piano on movies, TV themes, Grammy winning and chart topping recordings, and recordings that only a few people have ever heard. I can make good sounding music with just about anything. I can understand your desire for Steinberg to keep updating their VST instruments, but for me and many others they are not only all usable but wonderful sounding, easy to use, low CPU usage, and much appreciated. Just my opinion, of course. I’m sorry you are not enjoying your Cubase/Nuendo experience.

1 Like

Hi Ted,
Schön zu hören das du als Grammy Winner genauso wie Hans die Halion Strings benutz. Die Frage die ich mir stelle wieso du die Halion Streicher nicht als Hauptorchester benutzt und nur als layer Element. Die frage dann auch an Steinberg wieso man Halion Strings eingestampft hat, wenn es so viele wie unter anderem du Sie benutzten. Wieso gibt es nicht eine neue Version davon, wenn es so gut war. Wieso hat man Iconica entwickelt, wenn es so viele benutzt haben wie du. Das muss dir doch auch zu denken geben.
Innovation gibt es halt nur wenn die Community es satt halt immer das gleiche zu bekommen und das sehe ich bei Steinberg.
Aber sofern es Benutzer gibt wie du einer bist die noch Halion Strings benutzten und sich keine Veränderung wünschen ist doch alles gut. Ich würde dir auch empfehlen bloß nicht weiter über den Horizont zu schauen und nur noch Cubase 1 Atari zu benutzten, weil damit kann man auch produzieren und die Halion Strings laufen auch drauf. Wenn nicht ist nicht schlimm einfach weiter auf dem Casio Keyboard Klippern.

Und ja meine Erfahrungen waren bis jetzt mit Cubase nicht so überragend. Das ist aber bei dir anders da bin ich mir sicher. Bist halt ein Gewinn für Steinberg

Hi Ted,
Glad to hear that as a Grammy Winner you are using the Halion Strings as well as Hans. The question I ask myself is why you don’t you use the Halion Strings as your main orchestra and only as a layer element. The question then also to Steinberg why they have discontinued Halion Strings when there are so many like you using them. Why isn’t there a new version of it if it was so good. Why did they develop Iconica if so many people were using it like you. That must make you think too.
Innovation only exists when the community is tired of getting the same thing over and over again, and that’s what I see at Steinberg.
But as long as there are users like you who still use Halion Strings and don’t want any change, everything is fine. I would also recommend you not to look further over the horizon and only use Cubase 5 because you can also produce with it and the Halion Strings also run on it. If not is not bad just keep on clipping on the Casio keyboard.

And yes, my experiences with Cubase have not been that great so far. But that is different with you I’m sure….

Wieso wurde mein Beitrag gelöscht TED sagte doch er ist Grammy winner und das er Halion benutzt und damit alles in den Schatten stellt.
Wenn es darum geht das die Halion Streicher nicht In cubase Atari funktionieren das hab ich jetzt geändert….
Ich glaube ab C4 sollte das auch gehen….
Finde es witzig das ein Grammy Winner seine Meinung kund geben darf aber als Normalo wird man vom Steinberg mundtot gemacht. Geht Steinberg so mit Kritik um.
Wahnsinn Steinberg

1 Like

Dein Beitrag (Atari 1) wurde doch nicht gelöscht :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Gude Pat,

Leider doch hab es einmal auf deutsch und dann auf englisch und das englische wieso auch immer wurde gelöscht hab es noch einmal reingetan….
Aktuell ist es da aber auch nur eine abgeänderte Form….
Trotzdem alles gut bringt sowieso nichts Steinberg bleibt Steinberg.
Für mich ab sofort das beste was es gibt hoch lebe Steinberg ob es die Streicher oder die alten paar synth Plug ins sind alles super Preis-Leistungs unschlagbar.
Da müssen sich andere Hersteller jetzt warm anziehen ich bin begeistert.
Hoch die Tassen.:beers:

I can’t figure out whether you are just disagreeing with me or being sarcastic. If you’re simply having a different opinion that’s healthy and what we’re all here for. If you’re being sarcastic referring to me going back to Cubase 5 etc., then that’s something else. My whole point is that if I actually had to use Cubase 5, I could still make good music. Theres always something better out there no matter what sounds we’re using. Are HALion strings my all time favorite? Of course not. They’re just something I have available to me that works great. Most of my projects are not strings driven anyway, so I don’t need a CPU hogging symphony library to make a sustained single note. Thats my point. And like I said earlier, I’m sorry your Cubase experience is not going well. If there’s somehing I can do to change that please write to me directly. I’ll be happy to help in any way I can.

Blessings,

Ted “Theo” Perlman

1 Like

Hi SBC11,

ich beziehe mich jetzt rein auf das Update von Absolute 4 nach 5.
Und natürlich nur meine eigene Meinung :innocent: .
Mich kann dieses Update im Moment gar nicht triggern.

Einige der “Zugaben” habe ich ohnehin bereits erworben (Electric Bass, Rock Essentials etc.).
Backbone werde ich wohl nie nutzen, evtl. mal das Vintage Keys Amped.

Und dann auch noch die offen Frage nach dem Stand Halion/Sonic/GrooveAgent.
Werden die neuen Versionen (falls es sie in Kürze geben wird) mit drin sein, oder erneut verkauft ?

Wie war das mit den Summer/Winter/Friday/Monday Sales ?
Ich glaube, ich werde noch länger warten, um mich selber von der Notwendigkeit zu überzeugen.

Hmm, früher (als ich noch weniger Geld zur Verfügung hatte !) fielen mir die Entscheidungen dahingehend deutlich einfacher :thinking: - da habe ich gekauft, da die meisten Inhalte wirklich neu waren.
Andererseits ““nur”” 99€ - aber es sind ja nicht die einzigen Plugins, die jährlich “gepflegt” werden wollen.

Es ist so wie zu “Halloween” : es wird bei Dir angebimmelt und Du musst die Süssigkeiten rausrücken :wink: - und das mehrfach am Tag - dafür bekommst Du aber immer den selben Spruch :joy:

Anders wäre es, wenn ich Absolut noch nicht hätte - dann sofort her damit :grin:

VG, Paul

1 Like

Gude,
Sehe das auch so und das Steinberg da nicht nachbessert ist halt ein Zeichen des Desinteresses oder schlimmer die Unfähigkeit sich an die aktuelle Zeit anzupassen.
Wenn man sich die GUI ansieht von C11 dann wird aber auch schon einem alles klar….
Steinberg wir habe Ende 2021 und wenn ich mir C11 ansehe ist das 1998.
Das wäre ja auch nicht weiter schlimm da sich die sound Bibliothek auch danach anhört aber ich hab demnächst vor auf Win 11 zu aktualisieren😂
Aber wichtiger als alles andere ist das wir bald kein Dongle mehr haben damit wertet man schon auf Anhieb seine Produktion auf…
Sauber :muscle:

2 Likes

Das mit den SWAM ist echt eine prima Sache. Ich habe sie schon. Anstatt sich die Platte mit Terrabytes an Samples voll zu pflastern lieber so eine Physical Engine (bei Soloinstrumenten).
Die lebt von den Roli Hardware-Controllern mit MPE oder einem Blaswandler (Hornberg Research).

Da kommen meiner Ansicht nach bei den Soloinstrumenten kaum Samplebibliotheken ran, wie fein und detailreich sie steuerbar sind.

Da haben Steinberg/Yamaha den Zuganschluss verpasst. Aber auch in Sachen Synthy-Plugins sind U-HE, Spectrasonics, ReFX, … locker dran vorbeigezogen.

Hier sieht es für mich aus bei den ganzen Neuveröffentlichungen, die inzwischen alle Nase lang erfolgen, dass hier Masse vor Klasse geht. Ich habe teilweise das Gefühl zugemüllt zu werden.

1 Like