Absurd enharmonic spelling

Is there some way to fix this problem? Somehow Dorico spells my enharmonics in this way (check the pic). In the same bar I have f# and Gb. There is no logic whatsoever in that, assuming that I’m not wanting to write microtonal music.
Also I often get double flats and sharps in pretty conventional melodies.
Näyttökuva 2018-10-27 kello 18.13.06.png

Well the quick way is to select the bars and go Edit > Filter and then filter all sharp notes, then Alt-- (Alt+minus) to respell them all as flats in one go. Or filter all flat notes and Alt-= will respell them all as sharps.

And actually, though I can understand your frustration, Dorico is absolutely logical in the example you’ve shown, and does precisely what it says that it does here in the manual (Types of key signatures)

In an open key signature, the spelling of accidentals is based on the current direction of the music. If the music is rising, sharps are preferred, whereas if the music is falling, flats are preferred. There is no hierarchy of pitches in an open key signature, so the same pitch might be spelled differently each time it appears depending on its context, even within a few bars.

If you want consistency of accidentals, automatically, then don’t use an open key signature.

1 Like

Dorico knows the difference between an open key signature, a key signature of C major, and a key signature of A minor. One of the differences is in how it interprets note input. Read the link to the documentation that Leo posted to understand what’s going on here (and use his advice about filtering to fix it).

In future, always create a key signature for diatonic music, even if that key signature consists of 0 sharps or flats.

I think to change a sharp enharmonically into a flat you would use ALT+equals to raise the base pitch from G# to Ab. And the reverse (ALT+minus) to change a flat enharmonically to a sharp.

I often make this mistake myself.

Derrek is correct, of course. As per usual I was on my phone on the train rather than actually in front of Dorico…

Hi Derrek!

I am struggling with this problem right now… Whatever key combination I use won’t change anything about the accidentals. I am in write mode, I select a note, I press the key “alt” and the key “=” at the same time, yet nothing happens. It’s really frustrating. I have tried the same wit “alt” and “-”. I would love a reply…

Welcome to the forum, Nicola. Are you using a non-English keyboard layout? Perhaps the shortcuts are different on your keyboard. Take a look in Write > Respell to see what shortcuts are there for Respell Using Note Above and Respell Using Note Below.

It’s alt-+ not alt-= to raise the note enharmonically.

Cheers

P

For those of us using English keyboards, the plus is above the equals sign (on the same key), meaning that you’d need Shift to type +.
Alt-= is correct.

Aah, sorry, forgot that. Not at my computer now…

Cheers Leo.

P

I have actually reversed these key commands because they were counterintuitive for me. I prefer – to go to flats and + sharps, because it’s the accidental I’m thinking about rather than the height of the note on the staff.

2 Likes