'Acciaccatura' as a term

I wanted to check something about acciaccaturas in Behind Bars and was surprised to discover that the word isn’t in the index, whereas ‘appoggiatura’ is; and - as far as I can make out, though I don’t have a digital version to do a search - ‘acciaccatura’ doesn’t appear anywhere in the book, Gould preferring throughout the term ‘grace note’.

If posts on this forum are anything to go by, the word ‘acciaccatura’ is still widely in use, and in any case I would reserve ‘grace notes’ to refer to (for example) groups of two or more, usually unslashed in my experience, of these items.

I’m just curious, of course - nothing about this affects my use of them; it’s purely a nomenclature thing.

1 Like

“Acciaccatura” is exactly what I wrote in red under the “Grace notes” example at p. 125. I think I’ve also written it to Elaine together with many other notes.

Italian terms may be correctly translated in any language, but translating acciaccatura to grace notes is really puzzling if not a real error! :smiley:

1 Like

If it helps, here’s what I wrote about the distinction for the Dorico glossary.

1 Like

Bang on!

Exactly Lillie!

An acciaccatura can be more accurately described as a ‘crushed note’ and an appoggiatura a ‘leaning note’. They are both ‘Grace notes’ so it is surprising that Gould does not mention the former.
Acciaccatura apparently comes from the Italian verb ‘acciaccare’ -‘to crush’, so the translation does make sense to me.