Accidentally deleting metering and other data

Hi!

Often when I am selecting notes to delete my selection also includes meter markings and I hit delete and by mistake delete the metering. Is there a way to avoid this perhaps by locking or protecting metering? (see image below, this is a mistake I often make, selecting the meter with what I want to delete).

Thanks,

Filter>deselect only… Time signatures.

1 Like

It depends on what other data you want to keep, but you can set your filter to deselect. Using this, you could deselect time signatures etc or other objects.

Yup. I just sometimes forget to do that when moving fast… I do think a lock on time signatures would be useful. Thanks!

If you don’t want to select system objects, don’t select any. The easiest way to select a passage without selecting system objects is to select a note, rest or other staff-attached item at the start of the passage, release your mouse button, then Shift-click a note, rest or other staff-attached item at the end of the selection.

Marquee selections are good if you want to copy and paste or delete absolutely everything - system objects included - but are the wrong choice if you just want to clear the staff-attached stuff.

Ah thanks for thi!. That is a much more refined process for selecting than my crude swipe with the mouse (ha) … I like this method a lot. I appreciate it.

I meant to add: if you click the blank space in the staff that’ll select that whole measure - if you want to select whole measures there’s no need to be as precise as clicking a note.

Ah… yeah. I discovered that. Great feature. Thanks