Activate external sync not working?

Hi
When I activate external sync, pressing Play in Cubase 10.0 LE, it still starts the playhead - surely if it’s waiting for an external midi clock, it should be static unless I start my DrumBrute (in this case)? The DB is transmitting Midi OK (Cubase can record and playback midi notes from it) but the transport controls have no effect and as I said, Cubase runs away merrily at the Tempo set as it’s BPM.

Cubase also won’t send start or Midi Clock to the DB if it’s set to master in Prj. Sync Prefs and the DB is in Slave mode, even though Ableton Live will, but one problem at a time :slight_smile:

Cheers…Ben

Hi and welcome,

Please read Master and Slave and External Synchronization articles in the manual.

Cubase does not wait for MIDI Clock.

From the manual :
Select Transport > Project Synchronization Setup, and on the Sources page, activate Activate External Sync.

Cubase awaits incoming timecode from the chosen timecode source defined in the Project Synchronization Setup dialog in order to play.
?
thanks

Read. Project set to Midi Clock, All Midi Inputs, External Sync Active. DB set to Internal clock but Play transport doesn’t start Cubase (despite seeing a Midi Signal received).

MIDI timecode is not MIDI clock.

Dear Sven
Many thanks for taking the time and effort to respond to my questions. Might I humbly request you either :
a) take the time to ask me relevant questions about my approach and settings, so that you can provide me with a solution, or at least guidance
b) tell me I’m a bloody idiot for missing ‘x’ in my setup, so that I can realise my mistake and therefore arrive at a solution, or at least guidance
c) don’t respond

If your mission is to provide ‘clues’ to the solution (“teach a man to fish…etc”) then by all means, let’s engage in diagnostic discourse. I’m sure you’ve helped a multitude of confused, frustrated users in your illustrious history of posting…please, allow me to be the 3800th

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply. Notes below:

From the Manual…
_"To activate external synchronization, do one of the following:

Select Transport > Activate External Sync. Done

Select Transport > Project Synchronization Setup, and on the Sources page, activate Activate External Sync. Done

Cubase awaits incoming timecode from the chosen timecode source defined in the Project Synchronization Setup dialog in order to play. No, it ignores the transport commands from the DrumBrute (USB)

Cubase will detect incoming timecode, locate to its current position, and start playback in sync with the incoming timecode. No it doesn’t.
"
_

Furthermore:

1. With the above settings, Cubase will still Play and Record at it’s internal tempo (surely it should wait for a start signal and timecode?)
  2. Ableton Live works fine - it’s not the DrumBrute
  3. My Zoom R16 transport control works as expected, Play starts the Cubase playhead at the Cubase Internal Tempo

This just smells like a corrupt App or bug where the “Activate External Sync” doesn’t work…n?

Thanks for any assistance…Ben

Hi,

AS far as I can see in the DrumBrute user manual:

And from Cubase manual:

And another information from the same page of Cubase manual:

a) I saw no need for that, since the Problem seemed to be obvious to me from what you wrote (although I might of course be wrong on that)
b) You´re a bloody idiot, for missing that MIDI timecode is not MIDI clock, and as outlined in the manual, (which according to your post you´ve read), Cubase does not support being slaved to MIDI Clock.
You mean like that? :confused: I usually don´t do it that way, but could do an exception for you.

There you are…