Activating and deactivating Steinberg Licensing licenses

A post was split to a new topic: Error in jack.security.access

Matthias_Quellmann , I am running with the same problem. I added Extra hdd to my pc. Now it say Activation Limit Reached.
Please Help.!

thank for solving issue!

Hi Mattias. please help me… I felt the need to reset my computer for the last 3-5 days due to screen problems. I removed the m2 hdd tonight and installed SSD hdd windows10 pro for troubleshooting.
but I got the following warning about the license. It says ‘Activation Limit Reached’… thanks.

Pictures

Done!

1 Like

Thanks Matthias…

@Matthias_Quellmann - you are a king for helping all these folks, but I sure hope you have reported this as a problem to your higher-ups. It’s unacceptable for customers of such an expensive (and job-critical) product to have to visit a message board in order to unlock the software they paid for, and it seems like it’s creating a lot of busywork for you, too.

Again, I salute you for your efforts here, but Steinberg has to do better.

2 Likes

We took a hard crash (mobo) on our Cubase machine recently and it’s unrecoverable.
We’ve built a new machine and activated Cubase on it so we now have an orphan activation dated March 2022. I’d appreciate it if this could be freed up so we’re back to a single activation.
Thanks.

Also, if there was ever an end-user issue that cried out for a self-service solution, this is it.

I’ll probably get jumped on for suggesting this, but going back to the original plan of the 30-day periodic call-home to verify licenses would would give SB the possibility to offer self-service license releases.

Maybe not possible to make such a change at this point though.

Nonetheless, @Matthias_Quellmann has been quick on the draw to release licenses here on the forum.

2 Likes

even better, what about some kind of small and portable hardware device that you could store your licences on ? Possibly USB based ? I wonder if it could be something like the iLok ? that works beautifully for lots of my other licences. You can even have 2 or 3 activations for spare iLoks.

I hope SB could implement something like this.

3 Likes

I would, rather selfishly, strongly agree with you as the 30 day check-in wouldn’t affect us here, but I’m well aware that it would have a negative impact on others.
And yes, Matthias has been doing a sterling job of looking after us all but I’m sure he already has a day job and would rather be getting on with something else.

Hi Matthias!!

Would it be possible to reset all my activations, please?

Many thanks in advance!!

Agree 100%.
Trouble is, too many people claimed that their machines never saw the internet for years, causing a stink and claiming the 30 day activation somehow meant it was a subscription service. (!)

I really do admire that SB adjusted to meet the needs of the userbase, but seeing activations being cleared via forum posts just seems really unprofessional to me. That’s not a dig at SB, more a feeling of frustration seeing how this has played out.

I hear you, and probably moot at this point, but yeah.

@KT66 @barri I have reset your activations.

Maybe those people’s ‘claims’ were true ? But that’s only part of the problem - have you been watching the car crash that has been the BFD3 licence saga ? That one has been hilarious. They have increased the call-home to 90 days and do a constant rolling update when it’s connected.

There is no reason to think that a 30 day licence wouldn’t bring a different set of problems. …it has elsewhere…Fortunately that ship has sailed.

Personally I had no problem with the elicencer - been using that plus previous versions for several decades. Most still need to because they are chock full of licences that haven’t moved over to the new system, possibly years and years away from that.

Additionally you have no way of knowing how widespread the issue with ‘releasing activations’ is. This thread is 74 post long and about half are asking for a ‘release’ - that’s just over one per week. That may…or may not, be representative of how widespread the issue is…neither of us knows.

There are two issues here that need to be solved (IMO) - an over zealous system that doesn’t allow for enough hardware/software changes before the licence becomes invalid (Steinberg have already relaxed this so hopefully that’s improved). A FORMAL way to reset licence counts when computers become unavailable to de-activate. It’s been mentioned that this is planned.

Other developers have managed to develop excellent solutions to the problem.

A short term solution might be for mySteinberg to email you every time a licence is activated - or when you have used 3 licences - at least then you might have some warning. My experience is that the Activation Manager grabs licences rather quietly in the background…maybe this behaviour has changed in more recent releases ?

As Steve says - it’s a moot point

1 Like

@Ultimate_Outsider We are well aware that the current process is not perfect. We are still in the transition phase and we are learning, reviewing and improving Steinberg Licensing step by step. We are constantly discussing the trade-off between more flexibility and convenience for you as our customers and our interest to continue our business.

But I’m always happy to help and I’m learning a lot from the conversations and discussions here in the forum. So it’s part of my job as the product manager. All good. Just don’t let my wife know that I’m doing this on the weekend as well…

7 Likes

Many thanks Matthias!!

1 Like

I think a reasonable approach would be to let me reset my own activations. Especially with two-factor authentication, it seems like a safe and secure way to let me self-manage.

For instance, over the week-end I replaced a hard drive in my computer and had to use one of my activations to get Cubase back. I now have an activation in my account from March that will never again be used. I should be able to just delete it.

If you want to protect your business interest maybe just limit the number of activation changes you can make per day to one or two? Alternatively, automatically drop the oldest activation?

You should look at Studio Ones method. It is beyond SIMPLE and not a mess like this.

The fact that you have to reset users activations should tell you this is NOT working

1 Like