Activation Manager doesn't load

Hi everybody. I have downloaded and installed Dorico 4. On launching, the activation manager tries to start up, but stays on a “loading, please wait…” endless loop. I have tried ‘Relaunch’ from the Dorico startup menu. The only other option is to quit loading Dorico.

Please advise, thanks!

I’m on a Mac running Mojave, no antivirus running

Does Steinberg Activation Manager run if you launch it on its own, instead of by trying to run Dorico? If so, could you Sign In to Steinberg Activation Manager, then try running Dorico again.

Hi Richard, thanks for your reply. The Activation Manager doesn’t load past the ‘loading please wait’ sign, therefore I can’t sign out

Could you zip up your log files and post them here? We need both the Dorico log and the Steinberg Licensing logs.

On Mac these will be in ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Activation Manager and ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 4 .

On Windows these will be in %appdata%\Steinberg\Activation Manager and %appdata%\Steinberg\Dorico 4 .

Activation Manager copy.zip (2.7 KB)
Dorico 4 copy.zip (191.5 KB)

It looks like the licensing system hasn’t been installed correctly - it is failing some integrity checks on startup. Possibly something went wrong during the download or installation. Could you try downloading the SAM installer from here and reinstalling?

Hi again. I downloaded the SAM and the same thing happens: “loading, please wait”. Shall I uninstall everything connected with SAM and reinstall again?

Could it be an eLicenser issue? I see that there is a License registered there, for “Dorico Pro 3.5 (Not upgradeable)”

Could you quit everything that uses SAM or the eLicenser (Dorico, Cubase, eLCC, SAM), wait 10 seconds (to allow background processes to exit), then delete /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Activation Manager/Steinberg License Engine.app and try running the installer again?

OK. But I need to ask you something first. We are a professional studio running Cubase as well as Dorico etc, and I want to make sure that Cubase doesn’t get ‘unlicensed’ because of these actions.

It won’t do anything to your eLicenser licences - the file you need to delete is only used by the new Steinberg Licensing system.

YES, it worked! Thank you Richard for your very quick and efficient response, it is much appreciated. Everything Dorico breathes a distinct but subtle perfume which says… quality.

2 Likes

Great, glad to hear you got it working!

1 Like

Richard,
I’m having exactly the same problem with Windows 10. Could you tell me where the equivalent file is?

Thanks.

Check out this thread, Kenneth:

I’m on a Mac, Kenneth, but I found out that my problems actually related to the Steinberg Activation Manager being installed in the wrong place, on another hard drive. I found that by doing a global file search of my system. I hope that is of some use to you.

What would be the equivalent to this on windows? I am experiencing a similar issue right now where SAM won’t load

The equivalent files on Windows are in %CommonProgramFiles%\Steinberg\Activation Manager.

It’s worth noting that we released a new version of the Steinberg Activation Manager (1.2.0) at the beginning of the week, so it might be worth upgrading to that anyway if you haven’t already done so.

I’m having a similar issue too. Dorico 4 was working beautifully but this week it has been unable to load. I’ve been through heaps of forums trying to solve it but I’m stuck. I’ve uninstalled all of the Steinberg components twice, and deleted the files in Application Support. Originally the error message was to do with the eLicenser however after reinstalling the Download Assistant, the Activation Manager doesn’t load. I’ve tried a standalone install of the SAM. Still no luck. Deleting/force quitting synsopos.app hasn’t fixed it. I have downloaded Dorico onto my work computer and it is fine so at least I can still use it, but would very much like to be back on my Mac. I’ve also logged a ticket with Yamaha Australia as they are our only distributor. Fingers crossed it gets resolved!

1 Like

When you say that the Activation Manager doesn’t load, what exactly happens? Does it not run at all, or run but with a blank screen or some sort of error, or does it run fine but none of your applications use it? Would you be able to zip up the contents of ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Activation Manager (where ~ means your user directory) and post them here? It’s also worth upgrading to SAM 1.2.10 if you haven’t already.