Activation Manager doesn't load

OK. But I need to ask you something first. We are a professional studio running Cubase as well as Dorico etc, and I want to make sure that Cubase doesn’t get ‘unlicensed’ because of these actions.

It won’t do anything to your eLicenser licences - the file you need to delete is only used by the new Steinberg Licensing system.

YES, it worked! Thank you Richard for your very quick and efficient response, it is much appreciated. Everything Dorico breathes a distinct but subtle perfume which says… quality.

2 Likes

Great, glad to hear you got it working!

1 Like

Richard,
I’m having exactly the same problem with Windows 10. Could you tell me where the equivalent file is?

Thanks.

Check out this thread, Kenneth:

I’m on a Mac, Kenneth, but I found out that my problems actually related to the Steinberg Activation Manager being installed in the wrong place, on another hard drive. I found that by doing a global file search of my system. I hope that is of some use to you.

What would be the equivalent to this on windows? I am experiencing a similar issue right now where SAM won’t load

The equivalent files on Windows are in %CommonProgramFiles%\Steinberg\Activation Manager.

It’s worth noting that we released a new version of the Steinberg Activation Manager (1.2.0) at the beginning of the week, so it might be worth upgrading to that anyway if you haven’t already done so.

I’m having a similar issue too. Dorico 4 was working beautifully but this week it has been unable to load. I’ve been through heaps of forums trying to solve it but I’m stuck. I’ve uninstalled all of the Steinberg components twice, and deleted the files in Application Support. Originally the error message was to do with the eLicenser however after reinstalling the Download Assistant, the Activation Manager doesn’t load. I’ve tried a standalone install of the SAM. Still no luck. Deleting/force quitting synsopos.app hasn’t fixed it. I have downloaded Dorico onto my work computer and it is fine so at least I can still use it, but would very much like to be back on my Mac. I’ve also logged a ticket with Yamaha Australia as they are our only distributor. Fingers crossed it gets resolved!

1 Like

When you say that the Activation Manager doesn’t load, what exactly happens? Does it not run at all, or run but with a blank screen or some sort of error, or does it run fine but none of your applications use it? Would you be able to zip up the contents of ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Activation Manager (where ~ means your user directory) and post them here? It’s also worth upgrading to SAM 1.2.10 if you haven’t already.

Welcome to the forum. Everyone here will do their best to look after you!

1 Like

Do you use by the way the iLok version of Vienna Suite Pro? In my case this version caused that on one (!) of my 2 pc’s Dorico couldn’t start.

Hi Richard, thanks for the prompt reply! Originally Dorico wouldn’t run and would come up with the ‘eLicenser error’ a number of other folks in the forums have had. In reinstalling the SDA and Dorico, Dorico opens and tries to open SAM to activate the license, however the SAM becomes non responsive. I have downloaded/installed the SAM separately and in opening it just bounces in the dock. I have also tried starting it with the License Engine.app as mentioned above. The SAM opens but is then perpetually stuck at the ‘loading, please wait screen’.
I’m currently doing a full factory reset on my Mac and have deleted the apps for now. I was also using the most recent SAM download (downloaded yesterday). If the problem persists after my reset, I’ll let you know. I’ll keep you posted on the progress. Thanks heaps :slight_smile:

Have completed a factory rest and Dorico is now working again :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it’s all working!

Same issue here, same frustration. I’ve transferred the e-license to my new machine, installed Dorico, and confirmed the new activation code. When I try to run Dorico, it opens a dialogue box that says, “Launching Steinberg Activation Manager,” and below that it tells me to switch to the Activation Manager and follow the prompts. But AM never opens. It says that if it’s not already running, click on “Relaunch.” But clicking does nothing. I’ve installed and reinstalled AM, and still nothing happens.

Why is this such a difficult process…?

Does the Steinberg Activation Manager run correctly if you launch it on its own, instead of launching it by running Dorico first? If you run SAM, leave it running in the background, and then run Dorico, what happens?

That’s just it–it won’t run on its own. I’ve tried starting it separately. It just won’t run, period.

Okay. So. The Activation Manager finally, finally got going. It says I have No Licenses Found … but if I have a Download Access Code, I should run the Steinberg Download Assistant. So I run the Download Assistant. When it asks me for the activation code–the new one I just received yesterday after updating the license–it throws an error message saying “Process with the ID NOT found.”

I’m about at the end of my rope with this. Every step I manage to strain forward, it throws me for another loop.