Acustica Audio plugins crashes cubase

Hi,

Or you can use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, when Cubase freezes.

Any news on this issue? It is rather annoying to have to force quit on every project now as I use the Acustica plugins a fair bit. It also messes with the Preferences to always force Quit. Acustica seem to be a new industry standard in the space and it would be great to have a smooth integration with Cubase 10.5.
I would happy to post or dropbox a Crash Dump. I have Latest i9-10900 Intel and run of the internal Intel graphics. 64gig ram.
Many Thanks

I’ve had a ticket open for a few months with Steinberg and Acustica, here is pretty much the latest:

"The issue is GPU related and always occurs in the Microsoft D3D10Warp.dll Rasterizer and that GPU can easily run out of juice​ when displaying a few UIs.

A colleague from QA is working directly with Acustica Audio - the plugins prevent the main thread of Cubase from closing, maybe we might avoid the dead-lock by spawning a separate thread on close, but this needs to be evaluated still.

For the time being, we can only investigate with traces - this might likely be a thread sync issue in the GPU drivers (this specific issue does not occur with AMD at all). Meaning that if we cannot work around it, we’ll be unable to fix it and would likely need to contact NVIDIA and Microsoft."

At the moment its wait and see. I hope it can be fixed with future upgrades on both sides, but there’s no short term fix.

Meanwhile I’ve got into the habit of inserting Acustica plugins, getting what I want out of them then a RenderInPlace and deleting them. Obviously not always possible depending on what you’re trying to achieve, but a way to minimize crashes. Then I repeat to myself, “Easier than the old days of analogue tape…”

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I had a nagging feeling it might be the Graphics. I have ordered an AMD RX580 card and will report back, hopefully it resolves the shutdown issue.

Ok I got my new Graphics card AMD RX580 and initally it doesnt seem to make much difference. Cubase still freeze on closing projects. Now I dug around on the Cubase wont close thread and I tried this little trick. Close all windows except the project then save. So no plugins, mixer, or CPU meter open. And it seems I can close projects normally now. Fingers crossed.

Hi,

Could you please make a Microsoft ProcDump file, when Cubase is freezing while closing project?

Sadly doesn’t work for me. Hope your luck continues.

No luck it seems after working for while nothing stops it from freezing on Closing the project. Even with everything closed.
I did a dump and it does seem to be the
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: BREAKPOINT_80000003_D3D10Warp.dll!ThreadPool::WaitWhileBusy (not sure how to post the whole dump file?)
I really hope this will be sorted soon

Hi,

Share the whole DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Steinberg and Acustica Audio already have the file.

Hi,

Any news about this one ?

My cubase freeze on exit everytime and don’t find any solution (and still wanted to used them)

Thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately without the DMP file we cannot move on here on the forum.

Hi , yes of course.

I copy the last one created with task manager and paste all text from windebug.
I hope It will help !!!

Thanks you
Cub 11 Crash dump.zip (5.14 KB)

Hi,

As far as I can see, the crash is in graphic area D3D in the plug-in:

STACK_TEXT:  
ntdll!NtWaitForSingleObject+0x14
KERNELBASE!WaitForSingleObjectEx+0x8e
D3D10Warp!ThreadPool::WaitWhileBusy+0xe4
D3D10Warp!UMContext::FlushAllRenderingTasks+0x1379
D3D10Warp!UMDevice::Destroy+0xb9
D3D10Warp!UMDevice::`vector deleting destructor'+0x1e
D3D10Warp!UMDevice::DestroyDevice+0x5b
d3d11!NDXGI::CDevice::DestroyDriverInstance+0x5c
d3d11!CContext::LUCBeginLayerDestruction+0x6e
d3d11!CD3D11LayeredChild<ID3D11DeviceChild,NDXGI::CDevice,64>::LUCBeginLayerDestruction+0x1a
d3d11!CUseCountedObject<NOutermost::CDeviceChild>::`scalar deleting destructor'+0x50
d3d11!CUseCountedObject<NOutermost::CDeviceChild>::UCDestroy+0x1b
d3d11!CUseCountedObject<NOutermost::CDeviceChild>::UCReleaseUse+0xe9
d3d11!CDevice::LLOBeginLayerDestruction+0x143
d3d11!NDXGI::CDevice::LLOBeginLayerDestruction+0xd9
d3d11!NOutermost::CDevice::LLOBeginLayerDestruction+0x1a
d3d11!TComObject<NOutermost::CDevice>::~TComObject<NOutermost::CDevice>+0x23
d3d11!TComObject<NOutermost::CDevice>::`scalar deleting destructor'+0x14
d3d11!TComObject<NOutermost::CDevice>::Release+0x39
d3d11!CUseCountedObject<NOutermost::CDeviceChild>::Release+0x156
d2d1!CHwSurfaceRenderTargetSharedData::~CHwSurfaceRenderTargetSharedData+0x15f
d2d1!InitializableObject<RefCountedObject<CD3DDeviceLevel1,LockingRequired,DeleteOnZeroReference> >::`vector deleting destructor'+0x29
d2d1!RefCountedObject<CD3DDeviceLevel1,LockingRequired,DeleteOnZeroReference>::Release+0x3d
d2d1!CD3DDeviceManager::D3DDeviceInformation::`scalar deleting destructor'+0x22
d2d1!D2DFactory::~D2DFactory+0x51239
d2d1!RefCountedObject<D2DFactoryLocking<MultiThreadedTrait>,LockingRequired,DeleteOnZeroReference>::`vector deleting destructor'+0x14
d2d1!RefCountedObject<D2DFactoryLocking<MultiThreadedTrait>,LockingRequired,DeleteOnZeroReference>::Release+0x3a
ACQUA_11d7b0000!VSTPluginMain+0x16eb9
ACQUA_11d7b0000!VSTPluginMain+0x32ae7
ACQUA_11d7b0000!VSTPluginMain+0x32d8d
ACQUA_11d7b0000!VSTPluginMain+0x2d98c
ACQUA_11d7b0000!VSTPluginMain+0x20243
ACQUA_11d7b0000!VSTPluginMain+0x20cd5
ACQUA_11d7b0000!VSTPluginMain+0x20dfa
ntdll!LdrpCallInitRoutine+0x61
ntdll!LdrpProcessDetachNode+0x107
ntdll!LdrpUnloadNode+0x3f
ntdll!LdrpDecrementModuleLoadCountEx+0x72
ntdll!LdrUnloadDll+0x94
KERNELBASE!FreeLibrary+0x1e
COFFEEPUN!GetPluginFactory+0x16e47
COFFEEPUN!GetPluginFactory+0x1a63
COFFEEPUN!GetPluginFactory+0x2204
COFFEEPUN!GetPluginFactory+0x34d7
COFFEEPUN!GetPluginFactory+0x1bc0
COFFEEPUN!GetPluginFactory+0x22a4
COFFEEPUN+0x19c7a
COFFEEPUN+0x19ea4
COFFEEPUN!VSTPluginMain+0x38e5
COFFEEPUN!VSTPluginMain+0x9bc2
COFFEEPUN!VSTPluginMain+0x356a
COFFEEPUN!VSTPluginMain+0x3964
COFFEEPUN!VSTPluginMain+0x9c26

So CofeeUp plug-in is in use, then ACQUA plug-in, which calls the d2d, then d3d and the d3d crashes. Please get in contact with the plug-in manufacturer.

Well I’ve copied and pasted the text from the DMP you kindly highlighted, and opened a ticket for the third time with Acustica. It’ll be interesting to see their response…

This D3D10Warp.dll + Cubase problem has been around since 2015.

I hope Steinberg will look into this and also the very poor Asio handling of Acustica plugins. Cubase is the least optimized daw regarding Acustica plugins. and its not my graphic card ( amd r9 280x) , my settings are optimal and my computer can still handle bigger tasks.

Buy Jbridge and bridge all of your acustica plugins. There’s actually a Jbridge demo. It solved almost all my instability issues by using Jbridge. IMO avoid vst3 and Jbridge almost all of vst2 plugins, cubase will be much more stable as a result.

Merry Christmas

1 Like

Does this problem happen with Nvidia?

There seems to be issues with AMD and Cubase? At least, seemed like people were having problems with AMD gpus and Spectralayers

I’ve just bought an NVIDIA system, but not had a chance to properly test it yet.
My problems have been with Intel Integrated GPUs

This was the last useful info I received regarding the problem:

"If the you want to ‘see’ where the problem might be, you can keep an eye on the Task Manager, making sure that also the “GPU” and “GPU Engine” columns are visible.
Or you can use a tool like MSI Afterburner for monitoring the CPU and GPU activity, including clock speeds, memory usage, etc.

The issue is GPU related and always occurs in the Microsoft D3D10Warp.dll Rasterizer and that GPU can easily run out of juice​ when displaying a few UIs - see screen-shot below: that’s displaying just 10 plugins on an HD screen - the integrated Intel would choke."

Cubase+FF_GPU1

A colleague from QA is working directly with Acustica Audio - the plugins prevent the main thread of Cubase from closing, maybe we might avoid the dead-lock by spawning a separate thread on close, but this needs to be evaluated still.

“For the time being, we can only investigate with traces - this might likely be a thread sync issue in the GPU drivers (this specific issue does not occur with AMD at all). Meaning that if we cannot work around it, we’ll be unable to fix it and would likely need to contact NVIDIA and Microsoft.”

Then after I sent a triage file:

"Hi Gareth,

I just received the following reply from our QA, which I would like to forward to you:

As the breakpoint occurs after Acustica Audio plugin operations, again in the D3D10WARP library, we cannot further debug it unfortunately.

We have discussed the issue with Acustica Audio previously and are currently in contact with Microsoft to see if their DX team can get more information about the hang. QA is still at work on reproducing the issue locally, but it is not easily reproducible, especially with a debugger running.

There is the possibility that Steinberg creates a work-around to avoid the dead-lock, we have created an evaluation request for the developers about this.
However, we don’t know if this is possible yet and how long it would take to implement and test."

And that was the state of play as of October…