Acustica Audio plugins crashes cubase

This is still happening to me in 2021 in Cubase 11 with a brand new i9 - 8 cores windows 10 Machine. I have asked for refund to Acustica Audio. I have opened a case in Paypal.

1 Like

Paypal refound me full for my Acustica Audio plugins. I don´t want to use them outside Cubase. I have invested so much time to learn Cubase. I have subscribe to Plugin-Alliance where you have plenty of hardware emulations as good or even better than Acustica Audio.

WoW, did not know this problem has been mentioned a long time ago! I also have this problem, not only for acqua plugin, I also have this problem of freezing after closing cubase.when using acustica Nebula 4. I installed yesterday studio one, just to see… no problem with acustica audio at all… I am not programmer, do not know where the problem is coming from, I am with cubase from Atari, please solve this problem. Have a serious look on this, I know you can do something

1 Like

Contact/Email Acoustica, Steinberg is the inventor of VST they set the standards… there are thousands of VST plugins without problems so if there is a problem it’s likely the plugin.

Trying Acustica Sienna. First experiences with their software. Cubase 11 hangs on exit, and will also completely freeze when removing Sienna Rooms or Sienna Guru from the Control room inserts.
Force quit is the only option, which messes with preferences, recently opened project lists etc.

I don’t have this issue with any other 3rd party plugins. Very underwhelming.

contact Acustica, it’s on their end

On the gearslutz thread I noticed that several Cubase users complained about the freeze with Sienna.
Their stance is more or less that it is a) a problem of the VSTGUI SDK that they are using and b) no other host than Cubase show this behaviour.
This is not wrong, but the bug in VSTGUI was fixed five years ago. I wrote a post about my findings with this problem in other plugins I used and how the devs fixed that, including a link to the git commit with the most likely error source and how an update of VSTGUI would fix this.
Th answer was that their problem is that they use a heavily modified old version of VSTGUI that they cannot update that easily, and that they are pondering a switch to JUCE as an SDK (not a bad idea in general, but would mean a long time).
Baseline I have the impression that they mostly think that it’s a Cubase problem as no other host displays that behaviour. They are not completely wrong, and it really would be nice to have someone from Steinberg have a look at it why it is only Cubase…
So most likely there is no short term solution in sight for Acustica plugins.

2 Likes

No other host has the problem because no other host is the author of the standard.

If the Acustica devs relied on old/non-supported elements / didn’t test their product in the DAW that created/dictates the standard, then, imo, that’s on Acustica. They’re either going to write their plugins to the modern VST spec or not.

Does it maybe suck for a devs? yes. but VST2 was old, and Steinberg wants to advance their format and set that advancement as the new standard.

Remember it took some DAWs time to even incorporate VST3. Acustica is one of the very very few plugins makers that has only problems in the VST authors DAW but works in other DAWs… Well… there are thousands of plugins that work in the VST authors DAW and other the other VST supporting DAWs.

Steinberg sets the VST standard… Not Acustica.

This problem has nothing to do with the VST spec or VST3 or VST2. And different DAWs have always interpreted the “standard” differently, mostly because it wasn’t always that precise. AFAIK even Steinberg had some bugs with VST3 in Wavelab…
But again, not related to VST3 or VST2.

Okay but, I use as wide an array of different plugins with vastly different GUIs as one could, old and new. No problems.

I agree, Acustica could probably be able to fix it either with a new version of VSTGUI or JUCE. Both is a shedload of work for them.
And the problem is really really complicated, hard to debug and to reproduce, probably related to graphic cards or drivers, Windows version, or Microsoft libraries. With the same plugin, not all Cubase users experience it…
I had one plugin that produced the freeze, didn’t use it for a year, tried it again and I could not reproduce the problem any more. Really the worst kind of problem you can encounter as a programmer…

1 Like

Sure I’ve ran into problems as well, it was either patched within a month, or it was something on my end like GPU drivers. heck, even clean installing my PC has fixed problems.

Whatever the problem is, hopefuly they/steinberg post their findings some others can avoid the same fate.

Also experiencing these same problems of freezing during closing. Very interested in what solution Steinberg offers up. I’m really enjoying the Acustica Coffee the PUn but it’s safe to say I would never purchase a plug-in before these issues are resolved. After reading through the whole thread, I doubt Steinberg will ‘solve’ the issue, I’m not sure it’s theirs to solve, but maybe they can put some pressure on AA to get their VST game up to snuff.

Actually it’s solely on steinberg, it’s an old and ongoing issue for years. Also taking into account that you don’t have hangings with same plugins on Reaper/ableton etc, and unfortunately acustica isn’t alone here.

by the same logic, we can say 1000s of other VSTs work in Cubase as well as other DAWs.

Abelton and Reaper don’t set the standard, they may not be enforcing all the rules and guidlines, so by no means is that a measure

Ok let me put this way:
4DAWs doesn’t hang on exit with xfer ott, artsacoustic reverb, acustica and few more plugins…
1DAW does hang on exit everytime with same plugins above.
From user perspective that 1 DAW who hangs is fault and that’s the only measure and only logic.
Guided from previous experience it will certainly fall to the 3rd party developers to adjust(not fix) code/gui framework etc for Cubase not to hang, xfer ott soon will follow.

That’s still 6 plugins that hang where hundreds if not thousands do not

By your logic, old unsupported 32bit plugins that still work in an old DAW that don’t work in Cubase - that is Steinbergs fault?

No, the developers have to maintain their plugins, set to the standard of those who own the IP of the VST format, just like when Apple releases a new OS, everyone needs to rewrite their software.

Acustica knows what they have to do - and they aren’t doing it and pointing the finger at Steinberg. How is it that Steinbergs fault? Is Steinberg supposed to back pedal their progressive VST development? no.

Ultimately, as was stated above, when Apple makes a new OS, software devs are forced to rewrite everything. Apple doesn’t apologize and it appears here that Steinberg shouldn’t either. This leaves 2 possible scenarios:
1- it’s the plug-in devs problem and hopefully Steinberg can leverage their position to encourage AA to fix the issue
2- if the issue is with Cubase, they can fix it.

Regardless of whose fault it is, Steinberg can play a role in finding a solution; which is why I wanted do add a +1. Let Steinberg know that this hasn’t gone away, and it looks bad on them (their fault or not) and they should be actively working to find a solution.

they can’t write/fix Acusticas plugins for them…

the solution is following the SDK rules and standards for VST up to todays revision. Not last years, not 2 years ago, not from VST2 days, not even yesterdays. Todays.

First there are more than 6, second we talk here about up to date plugins. For example Spire 1.1.16(i think) was up to date back than and it hangs on exit on up to date Cubase only! -luckily devs released 1.5 where hanging doesn’t manifest (i don’t know if they are actually aware of that with previous version or they fixed it on its own by optimizing changing framework or whatever )

Comparing 32bit with hang on exit has no point. Since 64bit platform is beneficial on many ways and its logical that devs should jump on 64x since users have benefit out of it and that’s only matter BENEFIT! - fixing hang on exit by developers thats only happens in cubase and because of cubase is waste of resources, I would stand opposite if that happens at least on one more DAW.

And we had FLS slot limit limited by Microsoft(which respectfully to the apple owns 80% of desktop OS share ) and yet they rises that limit in 1903 update. Blaming Steinberg for that limitation is absurd why? Cause it happens on all other DAWS, and again we comes to what is benefitial for the users which I repeat is only matter. I am far from apple ecosystem but I know that some nice devs (melda,u-he, and few more that i cannot recall atm) has some negative statements of apple’s way of doing. On the other hand I applaud apple for “injecting” intel instructions on hardware level in their new silicon chip instead of emulating it on software level like they did when they switched from motorola CPU to intel. It turns out that all works good on new chip and that is beneficial! So its not that “everyone needs to rewrite their software” just like that. Again apple users can comment on this better.

This stands right, but also Steinberg could say same for Eucon and S series that is AVID fault (Oh wait :laughing:) or things regarding HiDPI or ARA or every other topic that has countless pages here where users could have benefit but they don’t at all or to full extend as advertised. And the same users knows to reward those devs who stands behind their product and willing to quickly react on issues that are known or introduced, also the same users will punish the ones who doing opposite.