ADAC question, por favor...

(Not getting any input on this and I’ve asked around.)

I have to update my DAW and may decide to go for one without PCI. I currently have Lynx TWO-B which I really like but may have to get something else. So my question is regarding sound quality;
do you have any experience between the following interfaces:

RME UFX/UCX

Lynx TWO / Aurora

Antelope ZEN/Orion

Steinberg UR28m/824
My main concern is to not downgrade my sound quality of monitoring.

Any input on the quality of the above would be appreciated.

(shouldn’t that be output? Sorry, a dad joke, it’s late).

I have used the Lynx, RME and Antelope. My recommendations are for RME then Antelope. While I am at it, I recommend not using Apogee interfaces (very similar feature set) they suffer SO many issues with failing chips and ICs and boards. I can also recommend UAD Apollo. Of those you listed, my first pick is the RME. You will not lose sound quality with RME or Antelope, so my separator is software and features. Total Mix (RME interface software) can be a dog to understand, but is strong on flexibility. I have not used the URs so am not able to comment. Also, have a look at the SSL Alphalink interface, really blew me away so I bought one. Not sure if it has the connection options you would need, but wow. But i begin to ramble.
HTH
\m/

Listen, your ramblings are quite welcome. No need to stop for my sake. And your silly pun is welcome!

Glad to hear you think the RME is up to snuff when it comes to sound quality.

I didn’t expect to be at such a loss, but my current situation is the result of my workstation evolving over years and not splurging on anything “unnecessary”. My 2in 6out Lynx allowed me to go 5.1 surround, which is why the UCX would do the same, but adding portability, headphone outputs (though I have a Grace 902m I love) and a few other things. But then again; I’m considering the possibility of running outboard at some point… though perhaps I wouldn’t do that simultaneously as I’d be running surround, so I could just re-patch…

Anyway, I was leaning heavily towards the UCX based on features, latency and reliability. The only concern has been sound quality really.

If anyone else has any input I’m all ears… eyes… whatever… and please do ramble…

I have installed, recommended an seen RME installations in various studios working for The German TV broadcast market. We never had any serious issues.

Sound quality is great, there’s no doubt about that. To be quite honest, I am not sure how difficult good conversion is to acheive these days, I have a feeling that most audio intefaces will be FAR from being the weakest part of the chain when it comes to great recordings and mixes. But take my word for it: RME sounds just amazing and they have very usable mic pre’s as well. (again, I think that good rooms and mics, their placement and proper cables/installation are more important)

At least as important is the reliability of the driver and software and that is outstanding. And it has been for MANY years now. They have a great track record of longevity and ongoing support. You don’t want to change audio interfaces just because the driver has reaced end of life, but that is exactly what I have seen with many other companies interfaces. While all those other inferfaces have now gone to Ebay, some bottom drawer in the basement, or whereever, the RMEs I have installed are all in active use every day. One day people will have to buy new interfaces, but that’s because the connections won’t fit because the new computer will not have pcmcia/cardbuss/firewire/pcie anymore.

I highly recommend their stuff.

Thanks Oliver!

I got the UCX. Love it. Would recommend it anytime.
Don’t know how it fetches up against Apogee or so, but I think it sounds pristine, certainly miles above the Tascam I had before it.
And TotalMix is awesome!

Thanks!

Still struggling with budget issues… i7 4790k vs 5820k build…

I use an RME ufx with two mr816s attached to it via adat.

Audio quality is high and the Totalmix software if unbeatable for monitor routing with zero latency. I’m sure you will only require a short time to get to grips with it - it really is awesome.

The RME stuff all seems bombproof. Even the MRs are sounding good and working flawlessly now that I am no longer expecting the Steinberg software to provide zero-latency monitoring (which it can not do).

Thanks,

The UCX is looking good right now. Minimum hassle sounds good, and sound quality doesn’t appear to be an issue. Surround capable and portable to boot. Good stuff.

I have to ask you guys again though: No thoughts on the UR-series? I’m not sure if I should be surprised, but it looks like it should have resonated more with the Steinberg software user-base. I do have a concern regarding long-term support as they’ve discontinued more than one item not long after introduction, whereas RME seems more “stable” in that regard. But I’d have thought integration would have appealed. Sound quality is again the main concern of mine though. The 28m seems too cheap to sound good compared to my LYNX…

now I’m rambling. I need a drink…

the RMEs are good. i use external DA’s, and the RME is obviously inferior, but for production work it’s completely ok and i wouldn’t mind using its conversion for mixing either.

I’ve been using RME for 6 + years, rock solid drivers, good support and sound quality is excellent. I first heard of RME when Euphonix came to demo the MC pro and System 5 about 8 years ago at an audio post facility where is worked.
Euphonix was recommending them with their systems. I was impressed with them.
I have been using them since in my own company.
I have tried the mr816csx steinberg used to make a few years back, and it was crap in my opinion. I had audio drop outs, pops and clicks, it was useless, sent it back. I am told USB has advanced a lot since then, but I have a bad taste about it. If you are going with USB, RME is the one to go with.
I would not trust Steinberg/Yamaha to support the hardware they make. Just my opinion.

Thanks again for the input…

A man can dream, can’t he?..

Likewise, I don’t trust Yamaha/Steinberg hardware anymore - too many over-hyped and abandoned products. That is the main reason I did not get into the UR series after dumping four of my original six MR816s. Another reason is that , I believe, it is only possible to switch phantom power on/off in pairs on the URs - on the MRs it can be done on a per-channel basis - much more flexible.

I, too, have only heard good things of the RME hardware. Interestingly enough a majority of the folks I spoke with that used RME were using it specifically with Nuendo.

I was moderately happy with my original Apogee Ensemble, especially when it still mapped to the Euphonix MC. Latency free monitoring was solid with Maestro going OPT to HearHub. New Ensemble out, not sure it fits with your rig, but I used the silver one for 6 years with few issues.

An upgrade for me would probably lean heavily towards RME.

Cheers!

I use RME at home… but have been taking a UR-22 on the road with me, primarily for editing, and occasionally for recording. I love it. It’s rugged, has performed flawlessly, sounds great, you don’t have to plug it into the wall… and it’s cheap!

Chewy

Chewy,

if you were to compare the sound quality of the UR22 to the RME (which one?); are they different and if so how?

Oh, and are you related to Rastapopoulos?

I’ve never done a blind shootout, and since I use the UR-22 mainly in hotel rooms and live situations, monitoring through headphones, I can only tell you that the AD conversion has never caused me to stop and say, “wow, that’s somehow different from the stuff that was done on the other equipment” after I’ve dumped it back into my desktop system. The preamps are transparent and clean. DA conversion has been good enough for me to mix and master projects away from home. I don’t require much for my remote work, and my only issue worth mentioning for other users is that the direct monitoring shares a pot with the main outs, which can be irritating, especially when I’m running a redundant recorder from the line outs-- have to make sure it’s set right.

I think Sound On Sound’s review from '13 (I’d post the link, but who wants to get busted?) is pretty spot-on. It’s a quick search.

I use an RME FireFace 800 when not on the road. Except for blowing a power transformer last year, after about 8 years of constant use, its performance has been spotless.

Oh, and are you related to Rastapopoulos?

Probably depends on what time of day you catch me. :smiling_imp:

Chewy

M2c towards RME:

7 RME devices in frequent studio use. Oldest is from 1998, latest from 2013.
All devices still work a 100 % and never caused any troubles or needed repairs.
The drivers came regularly and (apart from early windows related probs)
were excellent and flawless. Latency was always in the top notch league.
Compatibility with SB Software is remarkably good. You plunge them in your system
and they just keep working. Sound was always good and has improved with the Mixtasy
introduction to excellent.

Servus, Big K

I should add: during the week and a half my Fireface was out getting fixed, I mixed using the UR-22. It sounded great. Didn’t need TotalMix for that little stretch, but would have missed it eventually!

Chewy

We have always been addicted to Apogee Stuff, but these days there is hardly any difference between RME and the upper range, expensive stuff. Moving a mic one inch to the left or right will make a bigger difference in sound than a “better” AD converter. We are also using a Steinberg MR816, and even if I wanted, I don’t think I could easily put my finger on “this is the difference”.

Fredo