Add to user defaults in Library Manager

I admit that I almost never changed any of my user defaults in Dorico, since my projects vary immensely in their demand. I almost always stood by the Dorico Defaults and changed when necessary in different Projects.

But with the new library manager, this is all a thing of the past! (Thank you so much for that!)
I can now safely set my defaults, and when opening a new project, or receiving one from a client, I can just quickly compare the differences to my user defaults.

One thing that would be great: to be able to set the user defaults directly in the library manager, too. Basically, an arrow into the other direction.
This way, I could batch-safe some custom noteheads, which I created in one project and want to use in others, or I could take over a setting from a client’s file, which I feel would nudge my defaults into even better results.

I hope, I made myself clear.

2 Likes

Thanks, I certainly understand the suggestion. I’m not sure it’s a good idea, though, at least not right now – maybe once the concepts embodied in the Library Manager have bedded in and everybody is comfortable with them. For the time being, hopefully you will not find it too much of a hardship to go to the relevant editor dialog and save to your user library from there.

1 Like

Do I correctly understand that there is no way to save the settings in a .dorico file such that they in their entirety become my “User library”?

I have a Dorico file that has all the settings I want. Seems to me the best approach would be to make them my User library and then copy from the User library to each .dorico file I open.

Just open that file and go through each of the Options panels (Playback, Notation, Note Input, Engraving, Layout, …) and hit Save As Default.
That will become your new User Library.
After this, I suggest you remove all music and overrides (frames, for example) from a copy of this file and do File > Save as Project Template.
In this way you will not even need to use the Library Manager if things have not changed much.

@Michele_Galvagno1 ,

Does that mean that for every setting in every panel, I have to click the “Save as Default”?

Thanks,
Eric

From what I understand of this, only click once on the Save as Default button.
To save a single style (object, etc…) as Default, select it and use the Star (btw, I wish we had that in Engraving/Layout options, to save only certain things!)

1 Like

Yes that was the reason for my initial request.