Adding Articulation to Cue?

Is it possible to add new articulation to a cue – that is, articulation which doesn’t appear in the cue source?

The case is in a concert band piece: a cue in the tuba part for a double bass pizz. passage. I’d like to add staccatos to the cue notes. I could input the passage manually (reducing the notes to cue size, etc.) or add “stacc.” as text, but I’m wondering if there’s a better way, either with the cue feature or notationally.

Thanks a lot!

I’m guessing not, as the cue comes directly from the cue source. If the source changes, the cue changes (that’s the beauty of it). It’s dynamic, so directly connected.

This is a “playing” cue, as opposed to an “orienting” cue, so manual input makes sense for this. Also playing cues should show in the score, with instrument label and conditions for playing, such as “If no Double Bass”.

Thanks for the replies! Manual input it is.

1 Like

What I often do is to create an extra player, which I then use as the source for cues. It means that I can do all the adjustments (such as staccato, stem direction, accidentals, etc.) in this extra player without affecting the “real” players. Naturally, I need to change the label on the cue (in Properties), and also hide this player in the Full Score layout when I am ready to print. The cues are unaffected by hiding the source player. It is still there, but is not shown. I also suppress playback for any extra players. In one orchestral piece with many cues, I had 6 extra players to use for cues. It gave me a lot of flexibility when altering the appearance of the cue.

Interesting. What are the benefits of this technique compared to entering the cue notes manually in the destination staff? I could see this being faster if, for example, the same cue appears in multiple staves. Thanks!

For me, the main benefit is that I can alter the content of the source player so that what appears in the cue looks how I want it. For example, in your situation I would first copy what I want to be cued from the double bass to an extra player then add the staccatos to the notes in the extra player. Then I would cue the extra player in the tuba part, select the cue and, in Properties, change the label of the cue to Double Bass (or Dbl. Bs., or Bass, or whatever you want). If you want this “doctored” cue to appear in multiple parts, you can copy it using the various methods available (copy & paste, alt-click, move to staff above/below, etc.). It behaves like a normal cue. The big difference is that it references a player other than the one it appears to be referencing. Because of this, if accents are added to the notes in the actual double bass you will need to manually add them to the notes in the extra player - they will then appear on any cues which use the extra player as the source.

My need to use this approach is for when I want to change the appearance of the cue without changing the appearance of the instrument apparently being referenced in the cue. In your situation, you want staccato dots to appear on the notes in the cue in the tuba part but do not want them on the notes in the actual double bass part.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!