Adding Bars after the song is done

This is probably a newbie question but I can’t figure it out or find it on the manual.
I’ve finished the song…looking over the .cpr file before exporting to mixdown…tonnes of tracks…but I need to insert 2 bars between 8 and 9.

In Microsoft Excel its really simple, but in Cubase 10 Pro I can’t seem to figure it out…other than dragging my entire composition over from bar 9 onwards and then all the work that goes with adjusting the tempo track, time signatures…etc.

Help would greatly be apprieciated.

Yes that is an interesting question, and maybe the moderators can look at the question also. Because they way you discribe in excell is not the case in cubase. In cubase you life with a vast timelime, where you drag and drop elements like midi or audio around. So if you need two bars of more space you create it by cutting the back end and move that 2 bars. So you have space on the timeline. But also maybe for the develloppers or other forum members this is a question that can be examined more. Because i do not know how to do this excell thingy creating more rows, is actually a nice thing to have in cubase also. Maybe it exists ?

Maybe this wasn’t a newbie question. I assumed wrong. The reason I thought that it was simple is because it takes 0.5 seconds to add additional columns in Excel.

Lets say I forgot to add weeks 24 and 25 of the year (would be bars in Cubase) in the top row of my spreadsheet. I can simply insert those weeks (2 new columns) where they need to be. It moves everything over to the right (weeks 26 and beyond) and leaves everything to the left (week 1 - 23) exactly where it was. It’s so simple.

I expect a software like Cubase to do the same.

Put your left locator to the start of where you want to insert the bars. Put your right locator 2 bars on then Edit/Range/Insert Silence.

1 Like

You sir, are a fantastic human being.
Thank you.

Please dont get me wrong… the thread is again a classical example of how a trivial operation that of course exists in cubase is discussed like rocket science JUST BECAUSE THE MANUAL IS IGNORED.

Again my advice: You will be suprised what you can do with cubase if you read the manual. At least cross-read it to build a mental “map” of the product.

And the forum is for users to ask questions…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes it is for the users to ask questions - reading the manual will allow you to avoid unnecessary questions, increase your intelligence and most of all improve your abilit to ask questions in a way that help is easier to provide.

My hint is absolutely politively meant: You are MUCH quicker usually if you follow it.
It is highly inefficient to explore the numerous features of Cubase by asking single isolated questions in the Forum :slight_smile:.

+1

Also quicker would have been a Google of the question which would have lead to, among other correct answers, the relevant page of the manual…

Apart from speed the other advantage in using the manual is learning about features you didn’t even know existed and can find really useful.

My first post says I searched the manual…probably almost an hour. The term ‘insert silence’ is something I wouldnt have thought of in a hundred years. In Excel…its as simple as inserting columns in between columns. I wrongly assumed it would the same thing in Cubase.

As for the other guy suggesting google…i did that too…and youtube. I couldnt find anything on ‘insert silence’ because i was using ‘insert bars’ in my search terms.

Anyways…its awesome that there are some super great people here who dont mind helping a newbie type question.

Thanks again.

It is, just not with „insert silence“

Forgive my scepticism.

I just googled cubase insert bars and got the answer in one second.

What’s wrong with asking a question? OMG , you might waste a couple of seconds of some keyboard warrior forum hound who is on here like every hour of every day for the last decade because you should have read the 1000 page manual in full before daring to speak a word. Community for ffs.

Nothing is wrong with asking a question :slight_smile:.

One piece of help is the advice to cross-read the manual - again and again. It really helps - especially to have an overview about the concepts, features and - most important - the terminology/language of Cubase. I never said “dont ask” :slight_smile:.

No one is saying there is anything wrong with asking a question.

But there are very real disadvantages to only seeking info by asking questions and never using the manual.

1. The info in the manual is more complete than a quickly written response here.
  2. Because it is more complete you are likely to discover useful stuff you never even thought to ask about.
  3. Manual vs. forum = info vetted by expert review vs. a stranger’s opinion (although this community self vets well)
  4. If you are familiar with the manual getting your answer is often orders of magnitude faster than asking here.
  5. The manual always uses the correct terminology - which in general is a good thing to know.
  6. Questions posed here often use incorrect terms, leading to confusion and misinformation

Asking questions is a great way to learn stuff. But it is also limited. We “forum hounds” (who aren’t on here every hour of every day - we’re just efficient. But thanks for your condescension.) are trying to point out that in our collective experience ignoring the manual will seriously limit how well you can understand Cubase.

Oh in case you didn’t know it often takes way more than a few seconds to answer most questions. So sometimes it feels like the questioner thinks that their own time is too valuable to waste but they have a total expectation that someone here should spend their time giving them an answer.

Time is obviously so precious around here.

1. Blah blah blah blah Condescension blah blah
  2. Blah blah efficiency blah
  3. Blah blah RTFM
  4. Blah blah blah
    5 . jdjdjwiejdnx
  5. Reading the manual blah blah
  6. Ndjdkejej ed n
  7. Takes more than a few… Blah blah
  8. Etc etc.

Some folks are in the middle of a project and need to get something done. Some folks have read the manual and haven’t remembered every single thing in it. Some folks stop by a thread and think, oh great I didn’t know you could do that I will bear it mind for the future. What would actually be actually helpful about mentioning the manual would be saying ‘sure you can do that, It explains it on page x of the manual.’ Otherwise just answer the question or shut up and move on.

+1

Jacknewmenber :slight_smile: If the helpful advice to study the manual is not valuable for you personally, try to calm down and learn to take diverging opinions seriously. Noone for sure here has the right to tell someone “shupt up and move on”. Do you realize the difference between a seriously meant piece of advice and your posting?

All the best to you :slight_smile:.

If a mod sees this they might want to break this thread in two. The OP got their answer in a few posts but it also morphed into this meta-discussion which should probably be broken off into its own thread.