Adding Effects After Mixdown

How do I add effects to my recordings afterwards? The manual is not of much use as it assumes one is a sound engineer already :laughing: A lot of us are not. I am easily able to add effects to individual tracks or to the entire mixdown on my R8. Does the Cubase LE5 have something similar? I donā€™t even mind investing in a stand alone effect software or hardware if it is easy to use. Any suggestions? Thanks.

What are you recording? Generally, one would add insert effects to individual tracks or to the main stereo out.

What is your ā€œR8ā€?

R8 is my Zoom 8 track recorder. It has what I want, the way I want it. Easy to use. You finish recording, mix down to a separate track and insert effects to either individual tracks or the mixdown track. I wish I could get Cubase to ā€œreadā€ the effects in the R8, but once the R8 is in USB mode (so it can communicate with Cubase), the effects in the Zoom R8 are out of reach. You can only use the effects if you use the R8 itself as the recorder. Or not? It would be great if there is a way of using Cubase to access the effects in the R8.

After mixdown or during mixdown?

I defer to your expertise. During or after should not matter that much to me as long as the finished product sounds the way I want. Thanks.

Iā€™ve never used any of the Zoom stuff, but I finally had a chance to take a quick look through the manuals.

Iā€™m not totally clear on what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to transfer files which you have already recorded on the Zoom into Cubase?

Are you trying to use the Zoom as a USB Audio Interface with Cubase to track ā€œliveā€ and want Cubase to record the effects of the Zoom? If that is the case, it might not be possible.

You could record your ā€œZoom effectedā€ tracks into the Zoom, then transfer those files into Cubase if you were really set on using a particular sound from the Zoom.

I know there have been some other Zoom users around here. Hopefully someone else who has used one of these devices will stumble across this topic and be able to clarify a few things.

I think it matters a lot, FX are generally added before mixdown, but it depend on what you mean.

Could you be a bit more detailed in you approach and just how, at the moment, you are going about things?

Thanks, gentlemen. I first got the Zoom R8 and I used it for everything from drums to recording the tracks and mixing, until I got my Alesis drum machine and Xenyx mixer. The R8 has its limitations obviously- 8 tracks and limited memory on a card. This is where Cubase came to the rescue. Unlimited tracks and memory. I especially love how easy it is to cut and paste in Cubase. I love using it until I compare the finished work on it with the finished work on R8.

With the R8, I record the tracks individually, then mixdown to a master track. While that is taking place, I can add any desired effect (e.g. No 18 CleanPWR- my favorite), or change to any desired effect. Just like that. The LE5 is a powerful software and I am it has something similar, if not better. But getting access to, and using them is the issue. This is why I started looking for how to ā€œextractā€ the effects in R8 and using them in Cubase, or if I can find an easy to use, standalone effect package (software/hardware) that I can add to tracks during mixdown, it would be great.

User-friendliness is of utmost importance because I am not a recording engineer. I am essentially an instrumentalist but the need to record my work is why I am here. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I just read something about using the R8 and Cubase LE:

Audio interface
When combined with your computer, the R8 becomes a powerful audio interface. Connect the R8 to your computer via USB, launch your favorite DAW or use the included Cubase LE software and start laying down your tracks. Simultaneous 2-in/2-out capability allows you to record up to 24-bit/96kHz high definition audio. > If you use the 44.1kHz sampling rate, the internal DSP effects of the R8 are also available for your computer tracks. > A dedicated control lets you adjust the mixing balance between the DAW playback sound and the direct sound for monitoring.

I think the underlined holds the key if I can implement it. How do I make the internal DSP effects available for my computer tracks?

Donā€™t know about the R8, but Cubase has plenty FX that can be added during playback/mixdown. You can also download thousands of other FX, either free or paid for that will work in Cubase. They are called VST plugins, on top of that you can also use VSTiā€™s, they are instruments and the like that you can play within Cubase, everything from a simple tone to full blown orchestras!

The two main ways of getting an FX to work in Cubase is to either use a channel insert slot/s and/or create an FX track/s and use one or several of the FX sends.

Best to look at the LE5 getting started guide, tutorial 4 - Mixing and Effects, starting on page 46.
This details how to add FX using inserts and FX channels, with pictures.
Or for more detail, lookup the operation manual.

I am just being lazy in taking the easiest route. I guess I have to do the hard work (to novices like me) of learning to use Cubase. Once used to it, I will have wider doors and better tools to work with. Thank you for your time.

Take a look at p.28 of the Zoom R8 Audio Interface manual - ā€œEffects in audio interface modeā€

It looks like it might be possible to ā€œprintā€ the effects from the Zoom as you track in Cubase.

Iā€™m not sure what you are recording (guitar? direct signal? microphone?) but your version of Cubase should include a decent amount of VST effect plugins. There should be a Plugin Reference Manual included with your documentation.

You might find that as you get more accustomed to the ways of the DAW you wonā€™t want to record with effects, but rather record your dry input and manipulate it afterwards. You can get a sound thatā€™s pretty close to what you are looking for to lay down your tracks, then tweak everything to your liking later on.

I think you summed it up pretty well there.

You know you are right? I went back and Iā€™m now actually able to access the R8 effects while in USB mode in Cubase. Still though, Iā€™m loving the new, self-imposed challenge to master Cubase. It is to my advantage in the long run. Thanks a million.

:sunglasses: