Adding flat sign to timpani instrument name

I have searched the forum, the manual and the internet but I can’t find an answer to my question.

Is it possible to edit an instrument name and add a proper flat sign, say for timpani tuning notes? Timpani (F,C), for example is not a problem but trying to edit the text to say Timpani (Bb, Eb) with proper flat signs is a problem. Yes, I could just use “b” for the flat sign as I have done in the past but I was hoping that the latest version of Dorico with its new tokens would be able to do this properly.

I tried using glyphs for the flat sign and it didn’t work. I tried using the token {@flat@} and that didn’t work either. I tried with Music Text and changing the font also but after editing the name looked like this: Timpani B{@flat@}, E{@flat@}.

It must be possible because Dorico already uses the flat sign in other instrument names like Bb Trumpet. I am sure that I am just missing something or doing something incorrect when editing the instrument name and any help or point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Very doable. Do you mean the staff label or the layout name? For the layout name, you can use the flat token. For the staff label, Edit Name and copy and paste the flat glyph from SMuFL: https://www.smufl.org/version/latest/range/standardAccidentals12Edo/

Thanks very much for the response, I was able to get the staff label to look somewhat ok using the glyph (see attachment) but I am still not really happy with the way it looks.

Thanks again.
Timpani screenshot.jpg

I suspect you’re using “Bravura” rather than “Bravura Text”. You have control over the baseline positioning, either way, using the text formatting options on the Edit Names page.

What don’t you like about it? Flat glyphs too high?

Personally, I would align them to the baseline.

Thanks yet again pianoleo and dankreider, after adjusting the baseline it does look much better to me overall.

I appreciate the help, thank you.

I use the unicode U+266D glyph, it works fine… ♭Of course, that depends on the font.