Adding {@flowname@} as a token

I’m working on a big musical with many numbers. My layout requires that I have custom flow titles - no problem there - I just use the {@flowtitle@} token. I would also like to add flow name for project management purposes. Please can we also have a {@flowname@} token?

I realise I have plenty of other flow tokens available, but I’d rather have an appropriate token name than comandeer something that’s otherwise a cludge…

Thanks!

Can you explain this a bit more?

I believe the most appropriate one is the {@flowotherinfo@} one.
At least, that is what I would use.

For whatever reason, @Beechside would rather not use one of the other available flow tokens (like that one). Hopefully we will hear back soon about the scenario etc

Dorico distinguishes between flowname and flow title, though they both start out the same. Editing flow title then makes it distinct. It’s convenient that both start with the same text, so I don’t have to copy and paste into another token.

I can then put a marker on flow name, allowing me to see in the Setup pane, where I have to return to a flow for editing. I also use flow name in a running footer (removed before publishing), where its immediacy makes it clearer than using notes.

I do a lot in Musical Theatre, where there are constant changes, cuts, subordinate bar numbers and so on. Project management is far more important in these cases than when I’m writing a piece of music where art comes before function (if that doesn’t sound too pretentious).

Having said all of that, I don’t pretend that my workflow is the best. However, I would find {@flowname@} a useful addition and perhaps others might for their own workflow.

1 Like