Adding keyswitch alternatives to percussion maps

As part of my Dorico learning process I’m attempting to create a percussion map for just the Berlin Orchestra Berklee bass drum as an individual percussion instrument not a kit. I’m using Dorico 3.5 Pro. Berlin Orchestra Berklee specifies the following keyswitches for the bass drum:

B6 Single hits Midi note 95 [Natural]
C7 Dynamics Midi note 96 [not sure what to specify]
C#7 Rolls Midi note 97 [Tremolo]

I’ve selected the midi notes that match these keyswitches (which could be where I’m going wrong) and created a technique for each to recall in playback mode (except it doesn’t at the moment} but Dorico doesn’t let me enter any keyswitch alternatives so I must be doing something wrong. In practice I find that I can audition the sounds with keys C1 upwards which seems illogical given what I’ve just described. Berlin Orchestra is showing the correct keyswitches in its GUI. When I record hitting C1 etc there’s no sound on playback. How do I enter keyswitch alternatives that Dorico will accept or is there some reason it’s ignoring my attempts? At present I can only change the bass drum technique by selecting the keyswitches in the Berlin Orchestra Berklee GUI.

OK so I’ve worked out one bit on my own. The keyswitch is not a piano note. It’s a number. I referred to google to find the equivalent numbers I needed. I also went into preferences and changed the option to use the percussion map not the staff. I also chose different piano keys to play the sounds so that bit also works now. For some reason SINE requires a C7# for the rolls. That’s above the last key on on my 88 key keyboard so heaven knows why OT needed to specify that.

I chose tremolo for the playback technique for rolls but that doesn’t seem to work.

So I’m almost there. Just the techniques side to sort out.

I might be off the track but have you assigned your custom Percussion Map to the Instrument’s channel in the Endpoint Configuration ?

Yes I’ve done that. I worked out that the keyswitch alternative was a number not a note. The technique bit is still a mystery though. Single hit (natural) works but not dynamics or rolls yet. Tremolo doesn’t work for rolls.

Andy

All midi notes are numbered (0-127 with middle C on the piano being 60, regardless whether named C3, C4 or C5)

With a perc map you must establish a connection between the notation and corresponding Midi key lines (95, 96,97). You can probably solve this with just an expression map… How does OT define ‘dynamics’…? Some accent or marcato…?

That’s very kind of you. After my first posting on the forum I realised that I needed to use the note numbers and found a note map on google to work them out. Tomorrow I will move the SINE keyswitch settings down as C#7 is out of range. I’ve discovered how to do that.

Dynamics? Good question. It sounds like a kind of rumble but I’ve not found a way of getting Dorico to play it. Frankly I won’t bother with that articulation. Just use the single hits.

Thanks for your guidance

Andy

If your problem is making dynamics work on rolls, the answer I found is you need to add an expression map (a very simple one) where dynamics can be altered with CC11.

Oh I see. I’ll have a go at making a CC11 map for it.

Thank you for that suggestion. I’m determined not to be beaten as there always seems to be a way round things in Dorico. This is where the forum is so helpful.

Thanks again

Andy

Here’s a simple dummy, in case it’s useful… (the xmap is set to use both CC1 and 11… edit as necessary)

percmap+xmap.dorico (402.2 KB)

Very helpful thank you. I also experimented with simply expression maps rather than percussion maps as in Berlin Orchestra Berklee the drums etc are in fact pitched not unpitched. At least for recording and playback it works well but I will study the one you’ve kindly shared with me. It could be that I need to treat them as kits rather than individual percussion instruments. Thanks again.