Adding more than 1 space in music symbol editor causes crash

I changed the niente symbol to a ø in the symbol editor, but wanted to give a bit more clearance between that and any consecutive hairpins, so I thought I could stick a couple of text spaces after the symbol (i.e. insert a literal space text in the editor).

Needless to say this was the wrong approach, and when I clicked on the resulting spaces (still in the editor) Dorico crashed. Tried it a couple of times with same result. Doesn’t seem to happen with just a solitary space, though.

What would be the correct way to increase the spacing around a symbol?

Sorry to hear that Dorico crashed when you tried this. I’ve just given this a go based on your description and I’ve not been able to reproduce the problem. If you don’t mind, please choose Help > Create Diagnostic Report to create a diagnostic report (that will include your crash logs) and attach it here so I can take a look? If you could also write out the specific steps required to reproduce the crash, that would be very helpful.

Hi Daniel thanks for taking a look at this.

I’ve attached the diagnostics, although I note there’s nothing in the crash logs - Dorico doesn’t seem to report a crash when this happens, it just hangs and has to be force closed via task manager.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.1 MB)

To reproduce the error I’ve made a screen capture which I hope shows it better than I would be able to explain it. In the text box I’m hitting space bar twice.

recording

Thanks for providing the diagnostics file. As you say, unfortunately Dorico isn’t crashing, so there are no dump files to be found.

Instead of adding a separate component to the symbol that contains only spaces, how about padding the existing ø character with spaces? You might have more luck with that.

That works when adding two or more spaces after the symbol; a single space gets stripped out. A double space after a symbol may yield a touch too much padding so it could be nice to have a bit more control over the padding around a music symbol, but this workaround will definitely do for now. Cheers!